PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   optimizing iris browser for TP (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56912)

gianthobbit 02-09-2009 02:01 AM

optimizing iris browser for TP

I use this for the iphone.facebook.com website and love it, it also works great for googles book website. I tweaked my opera browser and now its WAY faster and was wondering if anyone knew how to do the same for Iris. I also want to change the icon art to the facebook icon as this is my primary function and feel the iphone.facebook.com website functions just like an app anyways.

Last, what is your guys thoughts on iris browser (speed, stability, etc.)

acizurqpid 02-09-2009 02:57 AM

Re: optimizing iris browser for TP

what kind of tweaks did you make for opera?

gianthobbit 02-09-2009 11:56 AM

BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } Turbo mode: checked
smooth scrolling: Checked
tab increase: 7
Automatic Ram cache: checked
First update delay: 0
Cache Directory4: changed to my sd card location example
then i would set the cache size to 10mb in the settings menue

Mastanthony89 02-09-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gianthobbit (Post 700665)
BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma; FONT-SIZE:10pt } Turbo mode: checked
smooth scrolling: Checked
tab increase: 7
Automatic Ram cache: checked
First update delay: 0
Cache Directory4: changed to my sd card location example
then i would set the cache size to 10mb in the settings menue

Can you .Cab this up for us please :thumbleft:

gianthobbit 02-09-2009 02:44 PM

its really easy, I dont know how to make cabs sry. Go to opera type in opera:config, there all under the user pref settings really easy to change

mrspeedmaster 02-09-2009 02:50 PM

thanks for the link. I didn't know there was an iphone optimized version of facebook. I've been using m.facebook.com and it sucks so bad I resort to using my iPhone 3G. Wow. Thanks for the link posted.

gianthobbit 02-09-2009 06:22 PM

get iris browser, the iphone site is optimized for webkit, and iris browswer is the only wm browser that is webkit, looks good on opera but if you get into pics for example its goofy

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 06:31 PM

Iris has a lot of potential but really needs a lot of optimization to reach that potential...

Could you imagine the Touch Pro HD with a blazing fast fully-completed Iris browser? *drool*

dishe 02-09-2009 07:43 PM

I LOVE Iris browser... I'm honestly surprised this is one of the few threads about it (there were a few back when it was referred to as Torch Browser, before the current version).

Yes, I use it primarily for Facebook as well. A little trick that might be useful since the iPhone has slightly different screen dimensions: set the zoom view to match page width. Then the page formatting fits better.

It never occured to me to change the icon to Facebook- that's actually not a bad idea. You can totally change icons by finding an appropriate icon contained in a .dll, and referencing it by the link (lnk) in your programs dir.
More on this:
http://mobile-sg.com/simpleblog/arch...ost.asp?id=849

As far as icons go, yes you can absolutely change the icon:

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 08:12 PM

The problem with Iris is that people think its "slow" because it does a full HTML render BEFORE it starts showing you the page while Opera Mobile renders on the fly... but speedwise, its really about on par with Opera Mobile from page load start to page load finish... you just can't interact with it as quickly.