PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Decidion is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: SPB Backup help

I have also had problems with SPB Backup on the Touch Pro. I've had the endless loop problem and it just seems sporadic. I can take a backup, do a successful restore and then a week later try to restore the same backup and it fails. Then when it fails, I try and restore the same backup a second time and it is successful.

Although this is the only mobile device backup software I have used, I would suggest anyone looking to purchase backup software to look elsewhere than SPB.

For me, backup software is just one of those things that needs to be rock solid reliable.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Palm Pre

jmelan is a n00b

spb backup failed the first time i tried it, requiring a soft reset to get out of the error screen

the second time, spb backup finished successfully after about an hour and depleting 50% of my battery

that just doesn't seem right, i haven't tried to restore yet
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelan View Post

that just doesn't seem right, i haven't tried to restore yet
No, somethings not kosher there.

I had my system so full at one point, there was only 24 megs of storage left & it still backed up in less time than that.

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 02-09-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Im joining the group that had no issues with spb backup on their 6800, but are now getting errors on the TP. For me, all smaller backups (80mb) or less, have all restored fine. But the larger backup files (90mb+) have all timed out and failed. I was also getting a ton of errors trying to restore after a hard-reset. I just installed Sprite backup, and the backup went smooth and fast, but i haven't restored yet. Im really hoping it'll go better than my recent tries with Spb. Like someone else said, backup software needs to be rock solid.
dschoenike

Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoenike View Post
I'm joining the group that had no issues with spb backup on their 6800, but are now getting errors on the TP. For me, all smaller backups (80mb) or less, have all restored fine. But the larger backup files (90mb+) have all timed out and failed. I was also getting a ton of errors trying to restore after a hard-reset.
That is pretty much the same thing I found also. I tried a small restore with SPB (basically a hard reset & almost nothing installed) & that worked fine. I don't think I have had a single larger restore go well in the TouchPro for some reason as opposed to the latest version of Sprite which works perfectly.

This is basically just the opposite of my experience in my older 6800's (I had three of them). Hell, between all the flashing etc in those things I bet I restored an SPB BU 30-40 times & they always worked perfectly.

Back then, I didn't even bother installing Sprite as I thought SPB was the best. Now, Sprite is definitely at the top of my list however.

I did a full restore yesterday on my every day phone with Sprite. I made a manila mod that did not work well at all. On the next restart the phone froze solid & forced me to do a hard reset. I had backed it up with Sprite right before the mod & restoring the BU worked perfectly (all five email accounts work right, my work sign in works etc etc etc etc)

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Give him the KICK!!!

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post

Back then, I didn't even bother installing Sprite as I thought SPB was the best. Now, Sprite is definitely at the top of my list however.

~John
Thats funny you say that. I didn't even know what sprite backup was, cause spb backup worked so well for me. I figured i was gonna try new things on this Touch Pro, but i was so hoping backup software wasnt one of them.
A few things i noticed about sprite are, same backup file is larger than spb, backing up is roughly twice as fast, and there seems to be quite a few more options than spb. I'm liking it so far, and from reading your experiences with it, im pretty confident it'll work fine. Your testing thread was very informative. Thanks for that.
dschoenike
Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Fellas, I did many 140MB backup and restore with SPB (if I remember correctly, it took about may be 10-12min) no prob. And yes, did the same with Resco (the fastest) and Sprite without prob. 50% battery drain is not normal,
Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Give him the KICK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbenz2008 View Post
Fellas, I did many 140MB backup and restore with SPB (if I remember correctly, it took about may be 10-12min) no prob. And yes, did the same with Resco (the fastest) and Sprite without prob. 50% battery drain is not normal,
10-12 minutes for the whole process? Wow, wish i could get those results. Maybe it's something i downloaded that's not playing nice with spb?. With my larger backups, the resore woild always hang at HKLM, before tming out.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

I dont know why your TP is having issues with SPB Backup. Its all I use now. I used a backup from my Mogul to put my Contacts on my TP straight out the box. I restore from backup daily(I make alot changes to TF3D and if I dont like them I restore) with no problems what so ever. After unchecking "Stop Process in the Background" my backups only take about 5min to do. A restore with all programs after a Hard Reset takes only 8 to 10min with no problems. Maybe its something you have installed.

Are you using it to backup different ROMS?

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Give him the KICK!!!

Im still on the stock rom. Yeah, its weird why spb isnt working as well for me anymore. I thought things were gonna be just fine after i restored all my contacts and emails from my mogul to the new TP. The first 5-6 restores went well, and it only started to go bad when my backups were too biig for 1 file. I hope im not coming off as complaining, because i definately got my moneys worth out of it, and would recommend spb in a heartbeat. I was just hoping somebody could tell me if i was doing something wrong or not. Cause i figure the issue is coming from my end.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro