PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Custom Rom and the Fear of the Rom-ers

I found that often times that people are so enamored with their (insert whatever here) that they often times make excuses to prop it back up. We see this with sports teams alot.

Anyways, after saying that, I'm looking to try out a custom rom partially just because I feel like seeing what people are talking about. They say it is a night and day dealie, or perhaps is it the illusion I was talking about?

Can a custom rom really bring better battery life? Maybe it can, but does it add unstablity that people aren't willing to admit?

On a similar note, is there a location where one can compare roms side by side, or if not how should I go about looking and where? Advice in general?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Random Phones>>Treo 800w>>Touch Pro>>Touch Pro 2
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch

bestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Custom Rom and the Fear of the Rom-ers

Try all of them !! Can always flash back to stock one.
I actually think that sprint did very good job with their stock rom.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

r1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestjudge View Post
I actually think that sprint did very good job with their stock rom.
+1

I have flashed phones in the pass, because it was necessary, but I don't see the need (yet)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

kennyidaho is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1_rydah View Post
+1

I have flashed phones in the pass, because it was necessary, but I don't see the need (yet)
Yup every HTC device I have owned I have flashed - repeatedly. Back in September I did an advanced exchange on my Mogul and got a Touch. I flashed away like crazy and eventually ended up with a ROM that made the phone perfect. Few weeks later I bought a new Mogul and never got around to flashing. I used the stock rom for months it worked fine for the needs I had at the time.

Now since mid January I've had the pro. I am of course curious about the custom roms but I have decided not to flash *yet*. I am pretty satisfied with the stock rom.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

First thing I do is flash my phone when I get it. yes, it definitley makes a difference when you find the right one that fits you.

I hate carrier Roms...its like buying a PC from Dell...they load it with crap that I dont want....so the first thing I do is format it and reinstall windows my way.

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

ryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to ryallchild

check this thread out it doesnt have reviews for every rom yet but hopefully it will continue to be updated with new rom reviews
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56330
Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Personally I don't see the need to use a custom ROM on the Pro. The stock ROM doesn't really have any significant bugs. The custom ROM's all bring their own bugs to the table.

If you don't want the junkware that comes on the stock ROM's, just delete the shortcuts. It's not like we're hurting for storage space...

There is one custom ROM I would consider... but it's just the Sprint stock ROM tweaked with a 32MB page pool.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i was thinking about flashing but with the right tweaks via the essentials thread along with custom icons from my man caddieguy02, i like the stock. plus the htc rom update is right around the corner.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
i was thinking about flashing but with the right tweaks via the essentials thread along with custom icons from my man caddieguy02, i like the stock. plus the htc rom update is right around the corner.

So they are coming out with an update soon? What kind of update would it be?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch

bestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on repbestjudge is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate134 View Post
So they are coming out with an update soon? What kind of update would it be?
GPS lag fixed and maybe foot prints. Hopefully new radio too!!!
But it wont be out till end of april prob.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro