PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Custom Rom and the Fear of the Rom-ers (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56821)

karate134 02-08-2009 04:02 AM

Custom Rom and the Fear of the Rom-ers

I found that often times that people are so enamored with their (insert whatever here) that they often times make excuses to prop it back up. We see this with sports teams alot.

Anyways, after saying that, I'm looking to try out a custom rom partially just because I feel like seeing what people are talking about. They say it is a night and day dealie, or perhaps is it the illusion I was talking about?

Can a custom rom really bring better battery life? Maybe it can, but does it add unstablity that people aren't willing to admit?

On a similar note, is there a location where one can compare roms side by side, or if not how should I go about looking and where? Advice in general?

bestjudge 02-08-2009 04:05 AM

Re: Custom Rom and the Fear of the Rom-ers

Try all of them !! Can always flash back to stock one.
I actually think that sprint did very good job with their stock rom.

r1_rydah 02-08-2009 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestjudge (Post 698290)
I actually think that sprint did very good job with their stock rom.

+1

I have flashed phones in the pass, because it was necessary, but I don't see the need (yet)

kennyidaho 02-08-2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r1_rydah (Post 698327)
+1

I have flashed phones in the pass, because it was necessary, but I don't see the need (yet)

Yup every HTC device I have owned I have flashed - repeatedly. Back in September I did an advanced exchange on my Mogul and got a Touch. I flashed away like crazy and eventually ended up with a ROM that made the phone perfect. Few weeks later I bought a new Mogul and never got around to flashing. I used the stock rom for months it worked fine for the needs I had at the time.

Now since mid January I've had the pro. I am of course curious about the custom roms but I have decided not to flash *yet*. I am pretty satisfied with the stock rom.

DaPeeps 02-08-2009 09:15 AM

First thing I do is flash my phone when I get it. yes, it definitley makes a difference when you find the right one that fits you.

I hate carrier Roms...its like buying a PC from Dell...they load it with crap that I dont want....so the first thing I do is format it and reinstall windows my way.

ryallchild 02-08-2009 12:10 PM

check this thread out it doesnt have reviews for every rom yet but hopefully it will continue to be updated with new rom reviews
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56330

gbm85 02-08-2009 12:56 PM

Personally I don't see the need to use a custom ROM on the Pro. The stock ROM doesn't really have any significant bugs. The custom ROM's all bring their own bugs to the table.

If you don't want the junkware that comes on the stock ROM's, just delete the shortcuts. It's not like we're hurting for storage space...

There is one custom ROM I would consider... but it's just the Sprint stock ROM tweaked with a 32MB page pool.

Dr.8820 02-08-2009 01:04 PM

i was thinking about flashing but with the right tweaks via the essentials thread along with custom icons from my man caddieguy02, i like the stock. plus the htc rom update is right around the corner.

karate134 02-08-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 698718)
i was thinking about flashing but with the right tweaks via the essentials thread along with custom icons from my man caddieguy02, i like the stock. plus the htc rom update is right around the corner.

So they are coming out with an update soon? What kind of update would it be?

bestjudge 02-08-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karate134 (Post 698818)
So they are coming out with an update soon? What kind of update would it be?

GPS lag fixed and maybe foot prints. Hopefully new radio too!!! :thumbleft:
But it wont be out till end of april prob.