PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Best DIY Video Cable! (Best $3.50 You've Ever Spent!) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56811)

chronster 02-09-2009 12:37 PM

Re: Best DIY Video Cable! (Best $3.50 You've Ever Spent!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrumo (Post 699934)
I perfer to go and buy 1 :-)

Did you get your hands on an "official" one? If you could do a image comparison of the two (DIY method vs prefab) I'd thank you :)

Darkjedi 02-09-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 699929)
Some have gone so far as to put a switch in, but really, headphones still work. The audioboost app doesn't work though so that sucks, but coreplayer has a built in eq so that makes up for it.

I dunno, taking off a piece of tape and putting it back on seems like more trouble than using coreplayer.

Also, if you go to a sprint store and tell them you lost your multimedia adapter, they usually give u a free replacement, so you could have one normal one and one modified one (like i do lol.)

If blue wire is pin 4, then this fix works exactly the same way by blocking off the connection to from pin 4 to the phone. If you can still use the headphones for your hack then headphones should work exactly the same way for this one too. For those who want to revert back to full headset functionality, they just need to remove the tape. If you leave the tape on you can still retain partial headset functionality.

Since I'm very lazy, I'd rather just tape up the USB since it takes all but a minute to do. Opening up the box to get to the blue wire and cutting/splicing it seems like too much work for me, hahah. Especially if I ever want to revert again as well.

This fix is really meant for people who don't use the Tv-out function that often and want to temporarily jury-rig their already existing adapter to a tv-out adapter. I personally didn't want to have to buy/get/beg for a new adapter or do anything crazy like break open the box or permanently break the pins. If you're serious about tv-out functionality, I would probably look into the official OEM adapter as I think that's the only one with proper grounding to the audio, though I'm not 100% sure.

PolloLoco 02-10-2009 10:34 PM

Actually I don't think there's a reason to remove the tape, the modded adapters retain all their features. If you hack the adapter that came with your phone - you DO retain headset AND headphone use so long as you close out the video out program (without choosing NTSC or PAL).

I used tape to cover pin 4 of my adapter, and was able to watch videos on my TV. But also - when I closed out the "video out" program at the PAL/NTSC screen (top right button, then close it in running programs) - I could then successfully connect a wired headset. I used a 2.5mm headset and held a conversation with my roommate.

I think this is great news, so you don't have to add a switch or pay $40 to an ebay scammer who has. The adapter should retain all it's functionality. Hopefully if others can confirm - there's no reason NOT to modify your stock adapter.

isangmahal 02-11-2009 01:44 AM

I actually tried OP's idea and it works wonderfully with the 3.5mm camcorder to RCA cables that my father had lying around his house, though the video out is the red while audio was the yellow and white.

I was wondering if that would affect it much since whenever I play an episode of Heroes through this mod, the screen flickers blue in Core Player. Though it doesn't flicker with Youtube, it flickers very noticeably with Core Player.

Darkjedi 02-11-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isangmahal (Post 705526)
I actually tried OP's idea and it works wonderfully with the 3.5mm camcorder to RCA cables that my father had lying around his house, though the video out is the red while audio was the yellow and white.

I was wondering if that would affect it much since whenever I play an episode of Heroes through this mod, the screen flickers blue in Core Player. Though it doesn't flicker with Youtube, it flickers very noticeably with Core Player.

I've heard thats an issue with CorePlayer, try using TCPMP. When I used TCPMP to play some videos I didn't notice any blue flickering. The only thing is that the black levels are a bit higher than normal so everything seems brighter than it should. Theres no setting that I know of to change brightness on the TP end except in the player or the TV.

Hot0m 02-11-2009 07:43 AM

What is the easiest way to open up the black rectangular section in order to cut the blue wire?

chronster 02-11-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot0m (Post 705941)
What is the easiest way to open up the black rectangular section in order to cut the blue wire?

I used a box cutter. I wedged it into the middle of the two pieces, then twisted it slightly. After trying to get it to snap back on, it snapped on fine, but it was much easier to remove it a second time so I used super glue to keep it shut.

Hot0m 02-12-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 706071)
I used a box cutter. I wedged it into the middle of the two pieces, then twisted it slightly. After trying to get it to snap back on, it snapped on fine, but it was much easier to remove it a second time so I used super glue to keep it shut.

Thank you Chronster, your advice worked like a charm. I was able to split it, cut the blue wire and it tested working. It has a decent picture for what its worth. I printed the pinout as reference and used clear tape to seal it around the housing to keep it together.

yourborfrombk 02-14-2009 08:50 PM

word that is goood i just did it an im happy as ever i wish it was that easy to get the fm radio to work lol

thestick00 02-25-2009 05:40 PM

Thanks sent. I was planning on doing another mod involving cutting the wire, but I was NOT about to do it until i had a second adapter with which to play with. I took your advice and my cables came in the male. Broke out some electrical tape I had (millions of uses) and a trusty razor blade. Within about 2 mins I had perfect audio and video on my TV. No Fuss No Muss. Thanks a bunch. This will come in handy very soon. I may try the other mod if I ever get another adapter from sprint, but this is more than okay for now. SO EASY. Thanks again.