PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Something went wrong with my manila file edit (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56770)

speck 02-07-2009 07:34 PM

Something went wrong with my manila file edit

All the tweaks I've applied so far to my phone have been changes to the registry. I have had no problems at all with that.

Today I decided to venture into the world of customizing my TouchFlo a bit. I wanted to start by deleting the sprint music store link - I thought that was nice and simple. I copied 26948339_manila to my PC, I edited it very carefully, I copied it back to the windows directory on my phone. OK, so I forgot to turn off TF3D :( So when I soft-reset, I got in the endless Tap here to launch TF3D loop.

But I didn't panic - I went to settings, turned off TF3D, re-copied the changed file and soft-reset. I turn on TF3D - it still loops. I turn off TF3D, copy the original manila file back to windows and soft reset. I turn on TF3D and now all is well, but of course, now I am back at square one with the music tab.

I had copied the file to my PC with Active Sync explorer, and I edited the file with TextPad, not notepad, but the file is in unicode. When I copied the file back to the phone, I did get some kind of message about how file formats changed when copied, but I copied anyway.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm a little afraid to try again, although I guess I will since I did manage to recover, although it did test my heart health in the process :).

schettj 02-07-2009 07:41 PM

Re: Something went wrong with my manila file edit

Why not use something like diamond config for simple things like reordering/disabling tabs?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=405749

I think you have to remove the tweaks.xml file from /program files/diamond config before it will launch on the touch pro.

Unknown Zone 02-07-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 697436)
I think you have to remove the tweaks.xml file from /program files/diamond config before it will launch on the touch pro.

That was the only way "Diamond TF3d Config" would work on my TP had to delete the (tweaks.xml) or else it would crash and burn.

speck 02-07-2009 07:51 PM

I've been a little skittish about using any of the configuration tools. I like to know what's being changed - and it seems I read a lot of posts about one tweak messing up another tweak. I've been kind of compulsive of keeping a log of everything I've changed on the phone so far. However, I'm about to throw caution to the wind (and now I am revealing my age!) - and just go ahead and install one of the config tools.

Which should I try - I've read on diamond config, diamond tweak, advanced config, any others?

eenieMINI 02-07-2009 07:52 PM

He's wanting to remove the music store portion of the music tab not the tab... that's the file he's editing.

@ OP.. try deleting the 2694...disabledtabs_manila file from your phone before reloaded tf3d after transfering your edited file. That worked for me.

schettj 02-07-2009 08:25 PM

Ah thanks, you're right I misread his post!

The config apps will let you re-arrange tabs and disable entire tabs. They generally don't edit stuff on a tab.

speck 02-07-2009 10:03 PM

OK, I think I figured it out. Or at least figured out a way that seems to work. I renamed the file I edited on my PC to have a .txt extension. Then when I copied the file over to the phone I didn't get any kind of 'file conversion' message. I renamed the file on the phone and copied it to the windows directory - and this time everything worked fine. Same file - just added the extension before I copied from PC to phone. weird, huh? But now I think I'll try some more manila changes!

eenieMINI 02-08-2009 12:20 AM

There you go.. now that you mentioned it I think I did the same.. without realizing I used that method, I did take off the "txt" AFTER I put it on the phone.