PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   You can Charge your HTC TP with a regular Mini USB. Did you know?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56730)

jucytec 02-07-2009 02:18 PM

You can Charge your HTC TP with a regular Mini USB. Did you know??

So I left my charger at work, I didn't feel like getting into my office on a Saturday So... I just shoved in a mini USB cable and guess what? it fits! lol...

I'm not sure if the plugs look the same across all brands but it definitely fits on the Vzw version. this might be OLD news but... thought I'd share.:thumbleft:

MoonZ*BabysH 02-07-2009 02:33 PM

Re: You can Charge your HTC TP with a regular Mini USB. Did you know??

are you really that eager to post a thread? sorry to be an *** but, REALLY!?! come on.

MidwestDrummer 02-07-2009 02:37 PM

LMAO! Is this guy serious?

Thanks Captain obvious! Once again you save us by pointing out the most common of knowledges!!

rgsekula 02-07-2009 02:42 PM

^like the last two posters^

i just want +1 to my post count.:geek:

Akshay00 02-07-2009 03:00 PM

I'll be nice to the guy! USB is USB no matter what brand you talk about. It's a standard. The voltages and the connectors are standard. You can take an iPod charger, replace the cable with one you got with the TP and your phone will start charging. Or you can use a Razr or Blackberry charger. That will work too.

amart79196 02-07-2009 03:06 PM

for a much needed laugh, i should hit the "THANKS" button.

schettj 02-07-2009 03:13 PM

Also, you can touch the screen and it totally selects the button under your finger. If I helped you, click "Thanks!"

Welcome aboard, jucytec.

jcu 02-07-2009 03:46 PM

I would be more interested if there is a battery-powered (like AA batteries) device that can charge TP so can use it for long flight or trip. :)

isangmahal 02-07-2009 03:52 PM

Here's a constructive post to this thread and to inform the OP:

Yes, you can charge using a regular mini-USB but the charger that comes specifically with the Touch Pro charges at 1A instead of 500mA. So just to caution you that if you use your regular miniUSB cable that it won't be able to charge as fast if you are using a regular mini USB cable while talking on the phone and you'll eventually drain the phone's battery.

MoonZ*BabysH 02-07-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isangmahal (Post 697028)

Yes, you can charge using a regular mini-USB but the charger that comes specifically with the Touch Pro charges at 1A instead of 500mA. So just to caution you that if you use your regular miniUSB cable that it won't be able to charge as fast if you are using a regular mini USB cable while talking on the phone and you'll eventually drain the phone's battery.

See now this should have been what this Thread should have been right off the bat. You rock.

510jungleboy 02-07-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jucytec (Post 696906)
So I left my charger at work, I didn't feel like getting into my office on a Saturday So... I just shoved in a mini USB cable and guess what? it fits! lol...

I'm not sure if the plugs look the same across all brands but it definitely fits on the Vzw version. this might be OLD news but... thought I'd share.:thumbleft:

Glad you found that out and " SHARE " with the rest of the Geeks that hadn't already knew that this could be done. For everyone else that already knew, just lay low and leep your remarks to yourself.

510jungleboy 02-07-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonzbabysh (Post 697038)
See now this should have been what this Thread should have been right off the bat. You rock.

If he knew this, he woun't waste his time posting this particular thread.

ruskiyab 02-07-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isangmahal (Post 697028)

My phone charges at 1000mA with regular USB :D

Chillen 02-07-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 510jungleboy (Post 697048)
If he knew this, he woun't waste his time posting this particular thread.

exactly... I am sure someone will find this thread useful

Dr.8820 02-07-2009 04:12 PM

this is funny but now the poor guy or gal won't ever post again! let's cut them a little slack(very little..)!jk!

gbm85 02-07-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcu (Post 697016)
I would be more interested if there is a battery-powered (like AA batteries) device that can charge TP so can use it for long flight or trip. :)

http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...er=20021702263

And that's just the first one I found. There are tons of them out there, and you can even make your own with instructions from the Internet.

mmarcz 02-07-2009 04:19 PM

Did you also know that you can make phone calls with the touch pro? Not just setting your calendar, keeping contacts, and going online?

I had to call sprint to make sure that I wasnt doing anything wrong by being able to make a phone call, they said its an added feature included in my plan. Its a new feature called modem-as-phone, and being a long time customer, they waived the monthly fee.

Could not believe it. I can actualy make a phone call from ANYWHERE, even without the AC adapter plugged into the phone!

I was in such a fluster that I forgot to ask sprint if I can call other phones like this directly as well. As soon as my wife gets off the landline, Ill call them back and find out.

This could really open things up for me, talk about freedom!

sorry, couldnt resist...

Dr.8820 02-07-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbm85 (Post 697085)
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...er=20021702263

And that's just the first one I found. There are tons of them out there, and you can even make your own with instructions from the Internet.

i think i'm going to invest in a sprint wireless charger. they are reasonably priced plus i can get a killer deal on one if i catch the right rep...

jucytec 02-07-2009 05:49 PM

wow! what a bunch of haters!

i was simply happy to find out that HTC dind't use a proprietary plug! i assumed that they had the pinouts reversed or switched... not to mention a the plug on the bottom of the phone does NOT look like a mini usb port.

relax people... nuff with the sarcasms...

darren.wlsn1 02-07-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jucytec (Post 697247)

i was simply happy to find out that HTC dind't use a proprietary plug! i assumed that they had the pinouts reversed or switched... not to mention a the plug on the bottom of the phone does NOT look like a mini usb port.

relax people... nuff with the sarcasms...

that a boy, im with you. ive posted some stuff that everyone knew about. glad your not perfect op like some of the other members that posted here. ill bet everyone that flamed the op has made a bad post or two also. welcome here and enjoy the site, not all members are as cruel as some in this thread. darren

schettj 02-07-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jucytec (Post 697247)

It's fine. We're not haters, we're just poking fun at you.

If we were haters we would have flamed you to a crisp.

It's kinda cute, actually. It's called a mini-usb connector right there in the documentation. And yes, the "1000ma vs 500ma" thing has been posted here about a million times too.

Keep discovering new stuff, but before you post you could try searching. Chances are pretty good it's been posted already. If not, post away!

coolwhip1220 02-07-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 697258)
that a boy, im with you. ive posted some stuff that everyone knew about. glad your not perfect op like some of the other members that posted here. ill bet everyone that flamed the op has made a bad post or two also. welcome here and enjoy the site, not all members are as cruel as some in this thread. darren

I agree. Don't feel bad OP, I didn't realize the TP had a dpad for like 2 hours. And for those two hours, I was pissed. And guess what, when I discovered it, I made a thread because I wondered how many other people didn't know at first.

And to everyone flaming the OP, some people are just excited to realize that these 2 below fit together. Would you really guess by looking at them? Hope someone laughs at something stupid you all do today.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...hip6/Plugs.jpg

P.S. I'll be the first to say that I am damn good at paint. lol

schettj 02-07-2009 06:15 PM

It's not that at all, its the SEARCH before you POST thing.

You know, we've all been here:

http://somecallmeduh.files.wordpress...ainobvious.jpg

Just trying to help a new guy out.

isangmahal 02-07-2009 06:58 PM

Hey jucytec, if you are still having problems with battery life, you should definitely flash to the Telus radio. The battery life of my TP improved greatly after that flash.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site by the way.

slypher 02-07-2009 07:15 PM

LOL, this is a funny thread. Good find OP, some good info came out of the thread (not new, but good info nonetheless).
-s

nmhusa 02-07-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonzbabysh (Post 696922)
are you really that eager to post a thread? sorry to be an *** but, REALLY!?! come on.

LOL This needs to be closed !

DaPeeps 02-07-2009 08:41 PM

i have to admit that I had my mogul for like 6 months before i realized i could plug a regular mini usb cable into it. I felt like a j-hole for not knowing.

OP....keep on keepin on.

toviaheli 02-07-2009 08:57 PM

Hey, I'm just posting so I can get one post closer to VIP ;-)

cannibalslug 02-07-2009 09:19 PM

As little use as this thread posts, one fact is incorrect. These htc chargers do not work in other phones (i.e. blackberry, motorola, standard mini usb). They are proprietary to the brand, they can take all other chargers. Blackberry chargers will not work with Motorola's and if they do the phone will eventually reject the charger but the blackberry can take a motorola...This to Captain Obvious of how every mini usb charger works with every phone.

imneveral0ne 02-07-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toviaheli (Post 697553)
Hey, I'm just posting so I can get one post closer to VIP ;-)

they'll ban you from VIP for stupid posts like this

ivan1.ruiz 02-07-2009 10:07 PM

Can we close this now???

jucytec Don't sweat it man This site ROCKS even though sometimes you have to deal with sarcastic people who only post because they are bored and think all their "caca" is funny.

I can see how this info can be helpful to some people. Welcome to the site bro.

mehan 02-07-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskiyab (Post 697050)
My phone charges at 1000mA with regular USB :D

how?

ruskiyab 02-07-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehan (Post 697728)
how?

Fast Charge Drivers

u8myfoood 02-08-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannibalslug (Post 697593)
As little use as this thread posts, one fact is incorrect. These htc chargers do not work in other phones (i.e. blackberry, motorola, standard mini usb). They are proprietary to the brand, they can take all other chargers. Blackberry chargers will not work with Motorola's and if they do the phone will eventually reject the charger but the blackberry can take a motorola...This to Captain Obvious of how every mini usb charger works with every phone.

Not in my experience, my old mogul charger charged my PSP slim and Creative Zen 16gb just fine!

510jungleboy 02-08-2009 12:30 AM

I have to agree with cannibalslug. My co-worker has a Razr , the usb cable that i use to charge my phone , does not charge her phone. I don't know why, but it doesn't charge, But the wall charger does charge both mine and her phone. I believe it's the way the Razr was design, so it's a hardware thing because conventional USB cable are built the same way.

gbm85 02-08-2009 12:34 AM

Motorola phones will only charge off USB when the data pins are shorted out. I think this is to discourage tethering.

Ranger093 02-08-2009 01:34 AM

I hit "Thanks" lols.

coolwhip1220 02-08-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 510jungleboy (Post 697962)
I have to agree with cannibalslug. My co-worker has a Razr , the usb cable that i use to charge my phone , does not charge her phone. I don't know why, but it doesn't charge, But the wall charger does charge both mine and her phone. I believe it's the way the Razr was design, so it's a hardware thing because conventional USB cable are built the same way.

Bought a razr car charger at walmart and it works perfect.

Big D5 02-08-2009 10:10 AM

This has already been discussed and is posted in the FAQ

* General - Attention all HTC users... Some good information about "ExtUSB" ports. HERE