PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 02:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

infinityhombre is keeping up the good workinfinityhombre is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Emergency Key/Mode

Forgive my noobishness but doesn't this phone have an emergency key/keys, does it? Tonight I was in a store that was being held up and one thing I realized is that this phone doesn't seem to have an emergency key. On my old phones you could hit the 9 key and hold it or 9 and talk and it dialed 911 asap and activated the gps and transfered you to 911. I was able to dial after the guy had left but had to be speak to someone to be forwarded to the correct city's 911 system. Also I had to hard reset to get out of emergency mode. Is there a trick to get out without the reset? A soft reset didnt work for me. I'm running Mighty ROM 4.9.3 on a Sprint Touch Pro.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Emergency Key/Mode

Talk to Mike about that issue.

I never had to use my phone in any emergency situation so I really couldn't tell, but whatever it is first rule, don't panic and then you can easily dial the correct number.

... Or the other choice, reach for your sidearm...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

infinityhombre is keeping up the good workinfinityhombre is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
Talk to Mike about that issue.

I never had to use my phone in any emergency situation so I really couldn't tell, but whatever it is first rule, don't panic and then you can easily dial the correct number.

Thanks for the quick reply. Wasn't sure if it was phone hardware or ROM related.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityhombre View Post
Forgive my noobishness but doesn't this phone have an emergency key/keys, does it? Tonight I was in a store that was being held up and one thing I realized is that this phone doesn't seem to have an emergency key. On my old phones you could hit the 9 key and hold it or 9 and talk and it dialed 911 asap and activated the gps and transfered you to 911. I was able to dial after the guy had left but had to be speak to someone to be forwarded to the correct city's 911 system. Also I had to hard reset to get out of emergency mode. Is there a trick to get out without the reset? A soft reset didnt work for me. I'm running Mighty ROM 4.9.3 on a Sprint Touch Pro.
Damn man, glad you're okay! That's definitely not a noob question.

I noticed this on the TP too a little less than a month ago when I witnessed some horrible ish... Not only did the 9 not automatically connect, but it made a LONG touchtone sound while I held it, which drew all kinds of attention to myself. Once I realized that wasn't working and just typed the 911 and hit SEND, it screamed 3 loud beeps (seriously at MAX HIGH or something), and then connected. Much like in your case, I had to actually speak to someone before I was forwarded to the correct 911 system (kind of like with a monitored alarm system).

The only thing that didn't happen to me was my TP didn't get stuck in Emergency Mode. I can't remember how I got back out of it, but there was some keypress sequence I had to hit to bring the phone back to normal status. Then again, I'm running stock Sprint ROM.

Afterwards, I looked all through the phone trying to figure out how to enable one-touch emergency, but couldn't find it. It's not even listed in the user's guide. I'll email tech support and see what they come up with....
Old 02-07-2009, 05:08 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Someone did a rather hilarious article on this awhile back... That certain phones make LOTS of noise when you dial 911 and put them in emergency mode... its almost like HTC WANTS you to get killed...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 02-07-2009, 05:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

APOLAUF is just getting started

Sounds like a good idea, but given the shortage of physical buttons, I could imagine a lot of false emergency dials if it were implemented on external keys. Now, on the slide-out keyboard, maybe that would be an idea. Theoretically, all you'd need is for someone to write this in to a dialer app and put in a key shortcut of some sort.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc6800

ki4ppg is a n00b

damn good choice thats what i would do also
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

speck is becoming a great contributor

I have my speed dial '9' set to 911. When I walk around my neighborhood at night I always carry my phone, thinking it is some kind of protection.

Now this post made me think about it - since I have my phone set to lock all buttons except the power button - I'd have to turn the power on, bring up the dial pad, then hold '9' to get help - hmmmm - I don't feel as safe now.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I had been told by sprint some time back they were made to take out long 9 to get this service. As I remember Sprint was told to take it out too many calls by mistake, maybe kids playing with the phones.

Last edited by dallas contractor; 02-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Someone did a rather hilarious article on this awhile back... That certain phones make LOTS of noise when you dial 911 and put them in emergency mode... its almost like HTC WANTS you to get killed...
I know, right! LOL! Do you happen to have the link to the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas contractor View Post
I had been told by sprint some time back they were made to take out long 9 to get this service. As I remember Sprint was told to take it out too many calls by mistake, maybe kids playing with the phones.
Ah, I never would've thought of that. The kids playing actually makes sense -- definitely would also explain the loud beeps when connecting to 911 (I guess to alert an adult or let you know it's accidentally dialed it, say in your pocket or something).

I wonder if there's a way to disable the beeps in particular. Maybe a registry edit?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro