PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Keep Activesync Closed

I've seen a couple threads where people complain that activesync turns itself on and is constantly running in the background. This can't be prevented normally - because in activesync, the schedule option is greyed out. However, with my 6700 - there was a procedure to add a dummy server and enable that scheduling option. I did it with my HTC Touch pro while modifying the instructions a little - and it seems to be working great.

On the 6700, the intent was to prevent loss of RAM and battery. RAM's not really an issue with this phone - and I'm not sure activesync burns as much battery as it did on the 6700. But if activesync running in the background bothers you - you might want to try the following as I did:

1) Start up ActiveSync on your PPC.
2) Using the stylus, tap "Menu" and "Add Server Source".
3) Configure a dummy server source.
Enter dummy, or dummy@dummy.com for all fields. Hit “Next” until Finished.
4) Tap the "Menu" onscreen button again. If you've performed all of the steps correctly, you should see the "schedule" option on-screen in black. Highlight "schedule" by touching it with your stylus and tap "OK". If the option is greyed out, exit out of ActiveSync (Click the "X" button) and start over.
5) Set Sync Schedule to Manual.
There are 2 drop down fields on the screen under the heading "Sync during". Click on both, and set to "Manually". Click "OK".
6) Modify Time Sync
A) Tap "Windows", "Phone", "Menu", "Options", "Services", "Time Synchronization"
B) You will see one line of text onscreen: "Time synchronize with mobile network automatically". There is a checkbox filled in next to this statement. Tap the checkbox to empty it. Tap the "OK" onscreen button.
7) Delete the dummy server.
Open ActiveSync via step 1. Tap "Menu" and "Options". You should see the "dummy" server you established earlier at the top – probably called a Microsoft server. Tap on it to highlight "dummy". Tap "delete". Tap "OK".
Close out ActiveSync in background memory.
9) Soft Reset.

Now, Activesync should stay closed unless you open it manually - or connect your phone to a PC.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff
Re: Keep Activesync Closed

I did this a long time ago back on my Apache and it worked great. Couldn't remember exctly what I had done. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

this thread should be sticky! the activesync thing doesn't bother me anymore once i saw that it doesn't use any battery. but it's good to know it can be put to rest.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Thanks much for this one (yes, I did click the magic green button). Could not remember for the life of me how to do this. Ever since flashing the WM 6.1 ROM to my Treo, I've had AS starting on it's own.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i have a cab called asynckiller that works perfect. anybody wants the cab, pm me email addy. im on ppc and cant upload cab. found a link to the cab also. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=386948

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 02-10-2009 at 04:31 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro