PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Chuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Water sticker issue...

So I did the tape trick to stop the creaking in my batter cover. I removed my battery cover I noticed that the water sticker had stuck to the tape and torn off the inside of the phone.

The sticker itself is still adhered to the paper(and markings are intact and still stuck to the paper, but the paper backing has separated and left a backing to the sticker, but also left it's sticky side on the phone.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't wanna try any type of glue since that may make the stcker wet and screw things up, but I need to get the sticker back ont he phone somehow. Maybe I should take it to a service center or something? I give Sprint a call?

In the meantime, to keep it in place, I cut a piece of paper larger than the sticker and placed the sticker over where it was and then taped the paper over top the loose sticker, until I can figure out what to do.

Thoughts?

Thanx

Last edited by Chuck_IV; 02-06-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jdesola is just getting started
Re: Water sticker issue...

I would just tell them (Sprint) what happened. The creaking issue is something that you, the consumer, should be entitled to fix. Since your fix affected the water detection sticker I would see how Sprint reacts. It still tests for water and maybe the Sprint store has little replacement stickers of something.

Buildin' my rep...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The battery has exactly the same sticker, its a little bigger/wider, but a few quick snips with an x-acto or scissor and I'm sure it'll look just right. Since you have no water damage and are not attempting to hide such a fact, it shouldn't be insurance fraud if you ever tried to exchange it.

It is likely protocol dictates that if the sticker is damaged/pink in anyway, they are not required to service the phone.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-06-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Chuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuff

I called Sprint and they told me to take it to a center and have them take a look. I'll stop by one tonight and see what they can do. The sticker portion came off the tape fine and is completely intact with backing too, so no reason to go trying to make things worse and "replacing" the sticker on my own.

I'll see what they say at the customer center(it is a repair center) tonight. I'm just not sure what they can actually do there or if they can actually replace the sticker or not.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I called Sprint and they told me to take it to a center and have them take a look. I'll stop by one tonight and see what they can do. The sticker portion came off the tape fine and is completely intact with backing too, so no reason to go trying to make things worse and "replacing" the sticker on my own.

I'll see what they say at the customer center(it is a repair center) tonight. I'm just not sure what they can actually do there or if they can actually replace the sticker or not.
I doubt they have stickers lying around the stores. I'm pretty sure those stickers are placed in the factory... in Taiwan.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Any ideas what they might do then? My main concern is if I do have an issue with the phone and need to use TEP, how this will affect things and how can I make sure they know that there is no water damage.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Any ideas what they might do then? My main concern is if I do have an issue with the phone and need to use TEP, how this will affect things and how can I make sure they know that there is no water damage.
They might have other moisture indicator meant for other phones, but it likely won't be the ones with the XX pattern since I've only seen those on HTC devices. Meaning if they replace it with a normal one, you might still even run in to problems again in the future. Make sure they make an note on your account if such an event were to happen so that you have a record of what happened.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ulysses is keeping up the good workulysses is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ulysses

i had the same prob, i managed to just peel the red "sticker" from the tape. came off with some scratching, and looked the same still, and just "stuck" it back on the white part...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Matt is keeping up the good workMatt is keeping up the good work

I can honestly say in all the time I have worked at Sprint, never once cared about the external litmus paper on a device.

They go missing, turn red when they themselves are a poor indicator of much of anything. A sweaty palm taking out the battery can cause those to go red. Go find a Motorola Rzr phone, almost everyone I've ever seen has litmus papers are red irregardless of how nicely they have been treated.

Any good technician is not going to refuse you service based on that alone. If one does, simply ask them to open the device and show you liquid damage/corrision. But like I said, I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen any technician I have worked with make a big deal about an external litmus paper gone missing. It happens.

(I say external - devices have litmus papers on the INSIDE. I am pretty sure the last time I took apart an HTC Touch Pro, there was one right on the inside of the back housing piece. That one is infinitely more important than the one on the outside of the device. Then again, I can honestly tell you that a good technician is less concerned by that sticker and more concerned with the state of your circuit board and if there is any water marking, corrision, etc.)

Hope this helped clear some confusion and dispell some unneeded worry
Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I can honestly say in all the time I have worked at Sprint, never once cared about the external litmus paper on a device.

They go missing, turn red when they themselves are a poor indicator of much of anything. A sweaty palm taking out the battery can cause those to go red. Go find a Motorola Rzr phone, almost everyone I've ever seen has litmus papers are red irregardless of how nicely they have been treated.

Any good technician is not going to refuse you service based on that alone. If one does, simply ask them to open the device and show you liquid damage/corrision. But like I said, I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen any technician I have worked with make a big deal about an external litmus paper gone missing. It happens.

(I say external - devices have litmus papers on the INSIDE. I am pretty sure the last time I took apart an HTC Touch Pro, there was one right on the inside of the back housing piece. That one is infinitely more important than the one on the outside of the device. Then again, I can honestly tell you that a good technician is less concerned by that sticker and more concerned with the state of your circuit board and if there is any water marking, corrision, etc.)

Hope this helped clear some confusion and dispell some unneeded worry
When I still used Verizon, I had to get my phone serviced. Some guy next to me also needed to get his phone fixed and asked the techs to take a look at it. After a couple minutes the techs returned him the phone and said that there was nothing they could do because it looked like it had been water damaged because the moisture indicator was red. The guy went on to explain that he works outside in the hot weather so his pockets can get damp and humid, but the techs still refused to service the phone. Needless to say he left very angry and threatened to cancel his contract. All I could think was, well sucks to be that guy. That's just my story, but Verizon are always jerks. I've always had a much better experience dealing with Sprint in any regard.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro