PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

cruiser78 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Better battery life with push mail on

I know it sounds strange, but for the last couple days, I tried turning on push mail for my Hotmail account and I've gotten way better battery life. Before I had it checking Hotmail every 15 minutes, every 30 min. with an IMAP account, and syncing with Mail2Web every 4 hours since that's the longest auto sync option available and I only use it to back up my calender and contacts. Before turning on push mail, I would unplug it around 11 am or so and when I got off work at midnight, it would be from 10-20% with hardly any usage. Today (at 4:52 am), it's still at 42% with push mail on and more usage than normal. Sometimes after work before, I'd have to stick it on the car charger cause it was too low.

Just an observation I thought I'd share as any better battery life we can get out of these phones the better right. It's worth a shot.

I haven't ever turned push on since it dramatically affected battery life on my old 6700 and 6800 so I figured it would be the same for the Pro so I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by cruiser78; 02-06-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium CDMA
Carrier: Sprint

AboveTheBULL is becoming a great contributor
Re: Better battery life with push mail on

Very interesting. Definitely will have to check this out....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

I could be wrong but the 6700/6800 didnt have "true" push email, it just sync'ed every couple seconds to receive "as items arrive." the TP has true push, so it doesnt have to sync unless you get a message. but that does considerably increase your battery life...
Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo!!

Ljayhova is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to Ljayhova

Hotmail actually has a lot of nice features I recently switched to it for the push mail feature with windows live on the phone. Before I was using seven to sync with my gmail account. I have to say I get better battery life using windows live hotmail plus if you have email through anyone else you can always forward it to your hotmail.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser78 View Post
I know it sounds strange, but for the last couple days, I tried turning on push mail for my Hotmail account and I've gotten way better battery life. Before I had it checking Hotmail every 15 minutes, every 30 min. with an IMAP account, and syncing with Mail2Web every 4 hours since that's the longest auto sync option available and I only use it to back up my calender and contacts. Before turning on push mail, I would unplug it around 11 am or so and when I got off work at midnight, it would be from 10-20% with hardly any usage. Today (at 4:52 am), it's still at 42% with push mail on and more usage than normal. Sometimes after work before, I'd have to stick it on the car charger cause it was too low.

Just an observation I thought I'd share as any better battery life we can get out of these phones the better right. It's worth a shot.

I haven't ever turned push on since it dramatically affected battery life on my old 6700 and 6800 so I figured it would be the same for the Pro so I was pleasantly surprised.
On the 6800 I had actually stopped using Hotmail/Live mail push as well since it ate up battery faster than if I polled. I switched to mobipush and it worked very well, but development for that service seems to be abandoned for the most part. I'll have to check out Live push again.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

I use gmail IMAP IDLE push through Flexmail and battery life is mediocre...it was better on my Treo 755 to be honest...On my first two TP batteries, I got about 12 hours with push on, and modest voice, texting, etc...I just got a new stock battery from Sprint last week, and for some reason, with the same settings, I get about 20% better battery life...it's really noticeable...I had actually gone and purchased the 3000mah Mugen a couple of days before a received this newest stock battery my battery life had been so poor...with this new stock battery, not even sure how much I'll use the Mugen other than on trips... and for what it's worth, I have tested various push/pull setups on my TPs and have not honestly noticed a material difference in terms of any power savings using true push...I know the theory behind it but in practical use I have not noticed...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

I just do as items arrive in windows live.. is that the same as push?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
I just do as items arrive in windows live.. is that the same as push?
On my Mogul, yes. You would receive a new mail notification on your within 30-60 seconds of mail being sent. Unless the servers are slow that day. The latest I've had mail pushed to me is a couple minutes late. I can't imagine it to be drastically different on the TP. If what the previous poster said was right and the TP has real push technology as opposed to the Mogul not having real push, it might even be faster. Though from I remember, the Mogul WM6.1 ROM included direct push technology.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

How exactly do you set up push mail? I looked in the instruction manual, and it said that I needed to be connected to some kind of exchange server. Do I have to be a part of a company to do that or something?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron238 View Post
How exactly do you set up push mail? I looked in the instruction manual, and it said that I needed to be connected to some kind of exchange server. Do I have to be a part of a company to do that or something?
If your company has Microsoft Exchange then ask your systems administrator to get that one for you.

As for others? If I am right look for Sprint eMail cab, I forgot where it is but it supports PUSH for other email service provider like, MSN, Yahoo, GMail (problematic) and AOL.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro