PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How do you disconnect from you PC when active synced? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56488)

BustedNuts1 02-05-2009 05:37 PM

How do you disconnect from you PC when active synced?

Like is there a correct way to disconnect when using Active Sync? I usually just pull the usb cord out of my phone when I'm done. I just didn't know if there was a way to "safely remove hardware" when active synced, like I do when I just connect it as a disk drive.

HBOOT 02-05-2009 05:39 PM

Re: How do you disconnect from you PC when active synced?

Yanking the usb out of the TP can cause the SD to get corrupted, you can always use the "safely remove software"option , it is always in the buttom of your lappy/pc. The other option is to turn off the TP screen, hear the notification that it has been disconnected, and disconnect.( I usually wait 5-10 sec after turning the TP screen off)

crazychef 02-05-2009 06:34 PM

todays new posts just keep getting better and better lol

henbone11 02-05-2009 10:14 PM

Quite honestly, I find this to be good information. I have been yanking the cord out. this will definitely be my new routine.

swinn 02-05-2009 10:38 PM

I've been pulling the USB cable out since PPC2002 and never had any issue.

AndyCR512 02-05-2009 10:39 PM

I doubt it matters. I imagine it has some kind of atomic copying mechanism, which would explain the terrible transfer speed.

HBOOT 02-05-2009 11:52 PM

Yank that cord while the pc/laptop is still reading or writing and there is a good chance the card gets messed up, it is just common sense.

kyle4269 02-05-2009 11:55 PM

hrmm, I have to admit that I've been just yanking the cord out when im done doing whatever im doing.. I'm going to start doing it the right way hehe.

AndyCR512 02-05-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbenz2008 (Post 693446)
Yank that cord while the pc/laptop is still reading or writing and there is a good chance the card gets messed up, it is just common sense.

In disk mode, yes. In ActiveSync, not necessarily. The phone is controlling the data being written to the card, not the computer, at that point. The phone could easily keep track of what sectors it had written, and if the cord is unlugged before it's completed ActiveSync in the phone could simply delete the data written, since it is incomplete. The slowness of AS file transfers suggests it is indeed doing something to the data, so I imagine this is the case.

It certainly can't hurt to sleep the phone before unplugging, but I very highly doubt it can cause corruption unless the phone is in USB mass storage mode.

Think of it this way - ActiveSync in many ways is more akin to network transfer than it is to direct USB mass storage writing. Would transferring part of a file over a network and then stopping result in damage to other data on the disk? No, and in most cases, the application doing the downloading would simply delete the file once it realized it failed. ActiveSync is the same way, unless I'm very mistaken.