PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
VIP Status!!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Lilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Lilhgarcia
Gps

Quick Question

Can i use my built in GPS without internet connection or WiFi

I've done it one day but after that i never figured out how i did it
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4g & TP 2
Carrier: Dan.

coolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Gps

Depends on what program you are using to access the GPS. Programs like Livesearch and Googlemaps use the internet to download maps and search information. I've heard that programs like TomTom and Garmin do not, but I haven't used either so i couldn't tell you.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Yes you can use the built in GPS without an Internet connecion and as Coolwhip1220 mentioned, you need a program that can work with a device that has true stand alone GPS capability. The Sprint HTC Touch Pro has that capability.

Garmin Mobile XT is a program that can work with the Touch Pro and has its own maps.

If you just want to do a little geoplotting and don't need maps, you can use a program such as NoniGPSPlot - v2.74. Even if you just want to test out and play with the stand alone GPS NoniGPSPlot - v2.74 is a good free program to use. To get the true stand alone GPS functionality, put your device into Airplane Mode and turn off everything in the Communcations Manager. (You can install NoniGPSPlot - v2.74 before doing this.) Then soft reset. Then start NoniGPSPlot - v2.74, hold your finger in the middle of the screen so the options come up (this is the same as pressing the "OK" button the program will ask you to do) and tap Advanced, then tap on GPS, then select the COM Port your GPS is on, which is probably 4, press the OK button on the screen. Then press and hold the center of the screen again and when the options appear again select the Satellites button. On that screen a button at the bottom of the screen will say something like "Activate GPS" press it and the GPS radio will be started up. You'll see satellite locations near you show up and your location data will be given to you on the screen. And then you can click Back and select other options to plot points and such. I have not been NoniGPSPlot for very long, but it's an easy way to play with your GPS and be sure it works with everything else off.

Oh and of course you should be outside in a clear area when you try to start the GPS .
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I use Garmine Mobile XT and it uses the internal GPS.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 PM
VIP Status!!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Lilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to Lilhgarcia

IS there any free ones?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

not that i can think of... you kinda get what you pay for.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhgarcia1123 View Post
IS there any free ones?
With maps that work with the device in stand alone GPS mode, nope. Takes time and money to make those maps and navigation systems. The free ones are Internet based because they're funded by companies that can afford to do it. And they keep the web based hook so you'll remember their site, they can serve you ads if they choose (probably main reason) AND to track every little thing you do .

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro