PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

woody88 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issue with tethering to a mac

Greetings,

I have followed the steps below on trying to tether to a PC, or rather a Mac. I tried the below steps but when I tried tethering and hit connect, it would just say check USB connection, and failed to connect. So then I came across some other threads on XDA, that have said that besides the extension key that needs to be deleted, the setforcecellconnection should be deleted. I did that, and now I have 2 dropdowns.

While I am at work today, I have plugged in the TP to the desktop and hit connect, and this time, I did not get the check usb connection, but rather connected. So I am thinking that I am ok on the PC side. But apparently, having some problems with tethering to a mac. Does anybody have any success on tethering to a mac. If so, what are your current registry settings right now? any advice would be appreciated as always.

Hack Internet Sharing to work: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing] Delete Extension key, set/create MaxCMCon=0 (decimal). [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings] Set ForceCellConnection="Sprint" -- Cabified Version Here
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Issue with tethering to a mac

Does your mac have BT? If so using Bluetooth would probably be the easiest way to get it all working.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint Ofcourse

tech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good worktech is keeping up the good work

or get the missing sync for mac it works bad *** both way usb or bt

Sprint Overdrive Pro 4G
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

it's a macbook, so it does have bt. if I decided to use bluetooth, do I still need the usb cable at all? or do I just select something and do away the cable? don't have my macbook in front of me, so I can't picture the connection quite well.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6900
Carrier: sprint

longuyen is a n00b

You should install wifirouter on your TP. It will create a wifi connection from your TP so you can tether to the MAC. This is how i currently tether to my mac and its probably the most effective way I have found.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Let's face it, the Internet Sharing over USB is not going to work with OS X. Only way? Bluetooth PAN. Though it's slow (BT), but it's very easy to work with.

Or, as others suggested, WiFiRouter, turns it into a mobile wifi router but keep in mind, it drains your battery and turns your phone into a hot potato.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody88 View Post
it's a macbook, so it does have bt. if I decided to use bluetooth, do I still need the usb cable at all? or do I just select something and do away the cable? don't have my macbook in front of me, so I can't picture the connection quite well.
You need to pair the phone to your MB, then on the TP, select "Bluetooth PAN" instead of "USB", press connect and once it's connected, go to OS X, click on the BT icon, select the TP's device name (whatever you set it to), then "Connect to Network".

Done.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks to all that have replied. Too bad we cannot use the usb connection to tether to a mac. I have wmwifirouter, I was hoping to find a solution that would not drain the battery as bad. So now I have the methods, for windows, we can use usb connection, but for mac, it's either pam or wmwifirouter. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

bigballer1 is a n00b

I think usbmodem will allow tethering over usb. Here's from the FAQ:

Does Windows Mobile USB Modem support Mac OS X Leopard?
Yes, USB Modem WM 1.30 supports Mac OS X Leopard both in Bluetooth and USB mode.
If you use Mac OS X Leopard and USB mode does not function in your cellular surroundings, feel free to contact us and tell us your device model, your OS version (WM 5.0, WM 6.0 or WM 6.1) and your cellular operator.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6900
Carrier: sprint

longuyen is a n00b

If you really wanted to use the usb connection on the mac, the only way I have tried is running Vmware with an XP virtualization. you will only have internet access for the browser that is running inside of the XP virtualization. Everything works just the same as the PC. I don't recommend this method since I often get disconnected, but you may have better luck than I did.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro