PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

John Lessnau is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3rd Party Apps - Must haves

What 3rd party apps do you consider as must haves? I was about to rebuy IM+ for instant messaging that I used on my Treo Palm 700p then realized that this phone comes with a rather nice instant message program that works with AIM, Yahoo, and MSN instant message programs which are the 3 I use for business so I am all set.

I am considering SPB Mobile Shell 2.1.2 since it is Handigos #1 app but I am not sure if I should change the look and feel of the out of the box version before I am even familiar with what it is like.

Maybe this phone is too new and I should wait for more apps to be developed.

Suggestions?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
Re: 3rd Party Apps - Must haves

live search.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: BB Bold 9700
Carrier: At&t

bwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuffbwhite4801 knows their stuff

Does anyone know the contacts today screen plugin that comes with the 800w. It has a search field where you can type in your contacts name and call them right from the today screen.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: I730/Treo700wx-800/HTCTP

wrecks is becoming a great contributor

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41160
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecks View Post
+1 for the search feature.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

palringo for IM (works with gchat and is the best one I have used hands down)
google maps
garmin mobile XT
slingplayer
remote desktop

that's about it for me
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

John Lessnau is a n00b

Remote Desk top sounds like it might be nice but it is $50 so I was wondering what kind of things you use it for? Can you pull a file off of your computer from anywhere. Can you check your outlook email right off of your computer. (which would be great because it would be spam and folder filtered) Examples of things you can do with it would be great.

I am definitely thinking about Slingplayer, it would be cool to access my DVR from the road if it really works and is not choppy with anything but a highspeed wifi connection.

The built in IM seems fine, I don't use gmail with my any of my offshore developers or freinds so are there any other features that make it better then the built in app?

How is Google maps better then the built in GPS mapping device that comes with touch pro? Ditto for
garmin mobile XT

I haven't tested the built in music player yet. I have an Ipod 80 gig with all my music, but I guess it would be nice to have 8 or 16 gigs of music on my phone.

On live search its already on the phone and seems like yet another mapping gps program.

Last edited by John Lessnau; 11-03-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adjusted comment
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

holo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuffholo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lessnau View Post
Remote Desk top sounds like it might be nice but it is $50 so I was wondering what kind of things you use it for? Can you pull a file off of your computer from anywhere. Can you check your outlook email right off of your computer. (which would be great because it would be spam and folder filtered) Examples of things you can do with it would be great.

I am definitely thinking about Slingplayer, it would be cool to access my DVR from the road if it really works and is not choppy with anything but a highspeed wifi connection.

The built in IM seems fine, I don't use gmail with my any of my offshore developers or freinds so are there any other features that make it better then the built in app?

How is Google maps better then the built in GPS mapping device that comes with touch pro? Ditto for
garmin mobile XT

I haven't tested the built in music player yet. I have an Ipod 80 gig with all my music, but I guess it would be nice to have 8 or 16 gigs of music on my phone.

On live search its already on the phone and seems like yet another mapping gps program.
Remote desktop isn't $50 - not sure where you are getting that from... I've attached a cab (unzip first)... You can do anything on your computer that you would normally do while sitting in front of it (short of playing a 3d game). Turn on high color and full screen it in landscape mode for best results...

Slingplayer is awesome, I get great results and it isn't choppy if you even have semi decent evdo signal strength...

Palringo also has push to talk support if your friends run it also (it will also send a link to a wav file if you send voice to someone on aim or something)... It also has some cool location stuff where it will broadcast your location if you turn it on to others using palringo.

Google maps will find anything and everything you want to find and has satellite views and stuff, but it's really great for looking up a phone number or location - a definite must have and it's free http://www.google.com/gmm . Garmin on the other hand has turn by turn directions similar to the sprint app, but there is no monthly service fee and it has traffic and stuff (not sure if the sprint one does, I haven't used it). Garmin also doesn't need a data connection on the whole time, so you can use it while you are talking on the phone/etc (it only needs data if you want to download traffic or use it's built in google local searching etc). There's even a regedit to make sounds still work while on the phone - it will come out a bluetooth headset if you are using that too. I use google maps when I want to find or call something and garmin when I want turn by turn directions to get there...

Can't comment on the music player since I don't use my phone to listen to music...

Live search's database seems to be far inferior to google's so I find it is often harder to find stuff off of. The info seems more outdated too...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows Mobile Desktop 6.1.cab.zip (316.8 KB, 355 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
Remote desktop isn't $50 - not sure where you are getting that from... I've attached a cab (unzip first)... You can do anything on your computer that you would normally do while sitting in front of it (short of playing a 3d game). Turn on high color and full screen it in landscape mode for best results...
Hey, have you tried logmein mobile? That's what I always used for remote pc use... If you have, how does it compare to Remote Desktop? If RD is better, why? Any info would help, thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
Hey, have you tried logmein mobile? That's what I always used for remote pc use... If you have, how does it compare to Remote Desktop? If RD is better, why? Any info would help, thanks.
Nope, but I can't think of anything it would do that RD wouldn't... Remote desktop is also a direct connection to your computer, I don't think logmein is...
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro