PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

XRS yo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro keyboard issues

I just got a brand spankin new Touch Pro about 2-3 weeks ago. Sprint upgraded me for free from my 8th broken Apache. Very exciting, especially since I was planning on just buying one.

Anyway, I've had nothing but troubles with the keyboard, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem(s). Went through dozens of pages of threads, but I haven't found anything quite like this.

Basically, the keyboard works intermittently. When I slide it open, it lights up like it should, and then one of three things happens:

1) It doesn't work at all, and the light goes off after 5 seconds or whatever because it doesn't think I'm pushing buttons. No buttons on it do anything whatsoever.

2) It works, but lags every time I hit the space bar. And when I hit the space bar, the space or the last letter I pushed repeats 5-10 times before it will allow me to continue typing. If I type a sentence, this may happen 4 or 5 times.

3) It works fine (rarely), usually after a soft reset, but then quickly goes back to #2.

I've soft reset it, hard reset it, and tried 2 or 3 different roms. Currently using the stock Sprint rom with no other software installed. It was fine for the first week or so ... maybe a little laggy on input sometimes, but still usable. Is it safe to assume this is a hardware issue?

Last edited by XRS yo; 02-02-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Echoman01 is a n00b
Re: Touch Pro keyboard issues

Sprint needs to give you a new phone.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Hardware issue. Very safe to assume.

I would call Sprint ASAP and have them send you a new one, especially if you're within your 30 days
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (off that) ---> (on to) Touch Pro 2
Carrier: The Now Network

RockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to RockSta®

I was having the exact same problem, then one day the keyboard just decided to stop working altogehter, got a replacement after, it was really annoying as i am a heavy user of the keyboard, so yours is probaly gonna die soon.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49422
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

XRS yo is a n00b

I'm assuming this would be covered under the manufacturer's warranty anyway, regardless of the 30 days thing?

(I'm an existing customer anyway with TEP, and I got the Touch Pro as a replacement by TEP when my Apache bit the dust.)
Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

XRS yo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Hardware issue. Very safe to assume.

I would call Sprint ASAP and have them send you a new one, especially if you're within your 30 days
You think they would resolve this over the phone? Last few times, they've sent me to the repair store and had them order me one.

... which is particularly obnoxious since it's 30 mins from my house.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: MOGUL

NEWARKSMOGUL is a n00b

i have had this happen to me a few times before. its not a big deal. if you have a sprint repair center near drop by there and the will replace the keyboard, and you get the phone back in about and hour. if you send it back to sprint they will send you a refereb, only this phone is so far back on back order that you when be waiting atlease to months. if you want that is a second opt is to find a place that sells the parts or old phones they can do it for you the keyboard is like 10 bucks and five to install it. there are a few more opt that i have that may work for your.

What state are you from maybe i can help with more details that works for you.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bahl85 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to bahl85 Send a message via Skype™ to bahl85

So I was having THE most annoying repeats with my keyboard. When I would type, it would either:

a) Lag MAJORLY (more than regular -- like for 5 to 10 seconds)

b) Put in a LOT of repeat letters (eg. Theeeerre or Insiiiiiiiiide) - it even would get locked in on repeating a letter and just would not stop at all, even if I exited out of the text message.

I did multiple soft, and a hard reset. As I was putting my apps back on my TP, I was texting away to see if there was a problem with one of the apps.

FOR ME, I found that when I installed the new version of Windows Live Mobile my problem came. I just uninstalled it completely and the problem is gone for me.

I just did it and haven't had any problems yet - I will post back if the problem shows up again. For now, it's fine.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

Also see this thread. There it was initially suspected to be related to customized ROMs, but later it was clear to be a hardware issue and even people with the stock ROM experience it. There is a picture in one of the comments there, that shows the wire which becomes lose and causes the problem. It should be covered by warranty, so I would not recommend opening the device yourself unless you feel the need.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

TheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuffTheDoctor1971 knows their stuff

I just posted a fair few pics of the keyboard issues from a hardware standpoint. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62876

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro