PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo
Carrier: Alltel

dyskinesia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
charging all the time good or bad?

ok. so sitting at work using TP but wondering if i'm shortening battery life but keeping it on charger while in use for entended periods vs. use it till it drains and then charge it? haven't decided on a 1500mah and switch then out vs getting the 2000mah and having the bigger footprint that then can't fit in any cases.

is keeping it on charger bad? also I noticed none of my usb chargers get abywhere close to the speed in which the stock HTC charger rechargesmy battery. just an observation.

thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero & Moment
Carrier: Sprint

dream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: charging all the time good or bad?

You should competely cycle a new battery then after that is doesnt really matter. Actually these lithium-ion batteries prefer to be charged as much as possbile. So no problems with leaving it on the charger.

Mine sits on the charger at work all day everyday, and on the weekends still has the same good battery life as always.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

It would be best to use til it drains then charge it. Leaving it on the charger can shorten the life of the battery per charge as well as the overall life of it. Just like a laptop, leaving it on the charger constantly shortens the life dramatically.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 View Post
leaving it on the charger constantly shortens the life dramatically.
that is totally untrue with these batteries.

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero & Moment

dream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrdrchvy2 View Post
It would be best to use til it drains then charge it. Leaving it on the charger can shorten the life of the battery per charge as well as the overall life of it. Just like a laptop, leaving it on the charger constantly shortens the life dramatically.
A fact from the net

"Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries"

The reason why many laptop batteries tend to die early, is that they tend to run fairly hot. Much hotter than the these phones ever become. Heat is not our friend.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch PRo

loren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good workloren646 is keeping up the good work

yeah totally jm and dream.

there is no reason NOT to keep them on all the time.

They die from overheating. These new batteries are not affected by MEMORY or OVERCHARGING.

Only older batteries of previous generations.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

while I understand the theory behind lithium batteries, the fact is that any rechargeable battery, lithium or otherwise, has a finite number of charges in it before you start to see degradation in performance...on my Treo 755p, my batteries did much better when I let them run down before charging, vs sitting on the charger all day at work every day, as I have to do with the Touch Pro due to the horrendous battery life...just ordered the 3000mah Mugen which will hopefully resolve this issue...
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bairice is keeping up the good workbairice is keeping up the good work

acs, you're right that it has a finite number of charges, but remember that it is a finite number of FULL charge cycles. This means that if you charge 50 percent one day, and another 50 percentthe second day, that will add up to one full charge cycle.

On the other hand I've heard that if you don't plan on moving your laptop, it's best to just take the battery out and leave it in a fridge or something at approximately 80% charge. I don't know if this applies to cell phones as well, but I would at least refrain from constantly keeping it on the charger. Otherwise you can charge as often as you please, without any ill effects.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_c_s View Post
while I understand the theory behind lithium batteries, the fact is that any rechargeable battery, lithium or otherwise, has a finite number of charges in it before you start to see degradation in performance...on my Treo 755p, my batteries did much better when I let them run down before charging, vs sitting on the charger all day at work every day, as I have to do with the Touch Pro due to the horrendous battery life...just ordered the 3000mah Mugen which will hopefully resolve this issue...
This is true, but trickle charging does not have the same effect on a Li-Ion battery than a full cycle does. The life diminished is negligible.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
lwrdrchvy2

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

While I worked for Sprint in a service/repair store we constantly had people come in with battery issues. Most of these issues were due to people overcharging their batt. The batt either had swollen or it would no longer hold a charge. While everything everybody has stated in the thread, I have seen otherwise.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro