PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

kronik420 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Radio Roms Please explain

I'm sorry to be such a noob but could somebody explain what I radio rom is. I currently have a sprint htc touch pro phone stock and I get really bad service with sprint so I was wondering If I updated the radio rom with a new one would it fix that issue thank you
Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

gxip is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Radio Roms Please explain

I'm going to try and give you my understanding of a radio.
Basically it's what connects your cellphone to the towers, some of the benefits of changing radio includes better signal, battery life. There is a thread around here dedicated to people using different radios in different locations, and providing opinion on which work the best.
If your carrier doesn't have any coverage in your area, changing your radio will not make a difference (signal wise). What you would need in this case is to force your phone to roam.
However (regarding bad service) yes a different radio could resolve/fix your issue. I recommend you reading a bit more on the stickies and I'll try to link the posts to you that I was talking about (hopefully they'll help you in your decision).

EDIT: here you go: "CDMA - Radios and Best Locations(15 Cities Listed!!!)"...http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=what+radio
and of course if you're decided to do it check this one: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46616

Also I recommend you lots of reading and you'll learn pretty fast. There's very interesting and useful information in the site, and while you're at it you will probably land on answers to questions you never even had..lol
Welcome, and good luck!

EDIT: Ok, here's a bit more information found from htcspain (http://www.htcspain.com/showthread.php?p=145050):
Translated to english: "The radio rom is one of the roms that a pda has, and is the one that manages all the devices (the wifi, phone, infrared, bluetooth, etc.) With each newer version the reliability and range of operation is supposed to improve."
It's not an exact translation but I hope it helps you understand better.

Last edited by gxip; 02-10-2009 at 02:03 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro