PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

sbrown2680 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invisible Shield installation tips.

I typed this up at 1:30 this morning to try to give some tips on installing the invisible shield without many (if any) flaws. While I originally typed it up in another thread I figured to I should make a new tread so people could find it easier....

I have used invisible shields for almost every device I own. Yes, they are a pain in the butt to apply but well worth it in my opinion. Actually, my new one for my TP and a warranty replacement for my watch face came in today. I've become the guy that everybody asks to apply their skins for them. Here's what I've learned to do the minimize the bubbles, lint, fingerprints, and other issues (along with orange peel effect.) Check here for promo codes http://twitter.com/zaggdaily

1. Wash your hands throughly.

2. Clean your device with Rubbing Alcohol (except for the battery cover if you dyed it..just use soap and water for that) and a cotton ball. Once it dries use one of those lens cleaning cloths like you get whenever you order something from newegg.com

3. Separate all of the pieces first - Separate from each other. Don't take off the backing

4. Figure out where all the pieces go while they are still on the backing. The worst thing in the world is when you start to apply a piece and find out that you put it in the wrong place and have to remove it, which usually ends up stretching the skin so it doesn't fit properly when you apply it in the correct position.

5. Keep your fingertips wet - I spray the solution a couple of times in a small bowl and then add water to the bowl. I make sure to dip all of my fingers (both hands) into the bowl before removing the backing from each piece) then whenever any of my fingers start to get dry I dip them in the bowl.

6. Don't be afraid to be VERY Liberal with the solution. On the back of my Touch Pro I used almost 3/4 of a bottle of solution. Don't worry about the solution running out. If it does, just refill the bottle with tap water.

7. Don't stretch the skin.

8. I found with the Touch Pro it is best to remove the battery cover prior to installing the skin. That way both sides can dry "face-up." However, be very careful not to get the moisture indicator wet since it will be exposed during the entire application process...if you don't think you can do this then leave the battery cover on.
My suggestion for order to apply the skin is 1. Sides, 2. Battery Cover, 3. Front - Doing the sides first and then the battery cover (which is separated from the rest of the phone) allows the sides to dry before you try to apply the front. This helps so you don't accidentally shift the sides around while working on the front of the phone.

9. If the skin hangs over the edge you either need to re-apply it (be very careful) or trim off the excess. Notice if you do have excess you either applied it too close to one edge or you stretched it. If you stretched it get a pair of VERY SHARP scissors and trip off just a bit until it fits properly.

10. Squeegee after applying each piece...obviously some of the smaller pieces don't need to be squeegeed but use the squeegee after applying each large piece. By doing this I've minimized any air or water bubbles and most of the time there are none immediately after I'm done applying the skin (no waiting 1-2 weeks for the bubbles to go away.)

11. When applying pieces with parts that have to go around rounded edges (like the back of the TP) be prepared to hold down the corners for up to 5 minutes. Sometimes it helps to wait a few minutes to let the skin get tacky. However if you do this you risk the problems of fingerprints on a dry skin. I prefer to do it when it's still wet and just hold it there for as long as it takes till it stays

12. Take your time... It took me about 45 minutes to apply the invisible shield for my Touch Pro today (and I'd consider myself pretty experienced.) I spent 10 minutes applying the skin to my watch and that's just one round piece.

13. Wait the minimum 12 hours before using your device. That just doesn't mean putting the battery back in your phone and turning it on. LEAVE IT ALONE, I know you'll be tempted to pick it up later and inspect your handiwork but resist temptation and leave it be. Actually if you can wait 24 hours you'll be even better off but I know with most of us that is really asking a lot. Even though you've gotten most of the water out by squeegeeing the hell out of the thing when applying your skins there is still a small amount that remains; plus the adhesive in the skin hasn't fully cured. Picking up your device early and messing with it can cause corners to start pulling up and shifting of applied pieces.

One more thing.... Yes, I know that Invisible Shield and Best Skins Ever use the exact same product. Actually I used to only buy from Best Skins Ever but was forced to by an Invisible Shield when they were the only ones that produced a 6800 skin. What makes Invisible Shield worth the few extra bucks to me (and it is only a few extra if you can score a decent off promo code) is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. The replacement they send you comes with a lifetime warranty. The only thing they require is you send the used shield back to them so they can verify you aren't just getting a warranty replacement so you and your buddy can each have one. The total cost of a warranty replacement is $3.00 and you can send your old shield back via USPS first class so all it costs you to send yours back is a 42 cent stamp. Invisible Shield also supplies a spray bottle of solution (much larger bottle in newer packages) and a squeegee. Whereas with Best Skins Ever you have to make your own solution with and use a credit card for a squeegee (which doesn't work nearly as well.)

I've been very happy with zagg as a company and invisible shield as a product. I promise if you take your time and use my tips it'll make the whole application process go much better. Or you can always look at it this way... If you do a crappy job applying the skin. You can always wait a bit and when it starts peeling up around the edges (which it will if you apply it wrong) and then just get a warranty replacement.
This post has been thanked 5 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro