PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

gothere is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Best Buy TP

Your actual mileage may vary and this not even work for you. But picked up a Sprint TP from Best Buy a few weeks ago with the intent of porting it to Verizon. Asked the store rep who thought up the economics of selling it without a plan for almost $800 but selling it with a plan for a little over $200 knowing the early termination fee was $200. The $400 difference was sort of lost on him.

Anyway kept the phone for 28 days of which 2 was actually on the Sprint network then called to cancel expecting to pay the $200. The <30 day rep said she would close the account but I had to return the phone to Best Buy and when that was done I'd get the first month + partial month credited back. I had yet to pay anything directly to Sprint.

Went to BB to explain I would not be returning the phone and he said to wait 4 more days then cancel again and pay the $200.

1 week later I got an email from Sprint saying my account was closed and past due. Called them and they took the payment for the partial month and said I was free and clear. This had to be done over the phone since webpay does not work for cancelled accounts. No mention of a termination fee. So for under $300 I have a free and clear Sprint branded TP talking on VZW.

Some days you get the bear and others the bear gets you.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

Jackalo is a n00b
Re: Best Buy TP

A hell of a thing to happen. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite you later.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO. Coming from Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint since 1999

Garwood71 is just getting started

Work it work it. That's funny. Yer gonna be impeached.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

ryu hayabusa is becoming a great contributor

yup starting in October, Sprint no longer can cancel any accounts unless you show youve returned the phone, All carriers are in the business to make money not lose money. and thats whats happening everyone cqancelling accounts and no tliving up to the bills, thats why they have the option of buying the phone outright with no contract. there is no way of getting around it anymore. Just find a phone on ebay or craigslist then port it.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good workTProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good work

Yeah you save $400, but it's going to ding your credit should you decide to switch carriers in the future. Not smart.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

be careful about screwing the providers. i understand you're not on sprint yourself, but maybe perhaps you like best buy...

either way, when the providers keep getting screwed thats when they have to charge more. so you may have gotten something on the front end, but it could get worse on the back end with higher rates or prices. It also hurts when someone who legitimately needs to break contract, but because the provider has been screwed by too many ppl just trying to get a cheap phone they put blocks in place that keep that one particular customer from being able to do that.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro