PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

kosherham51 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Current TP ROMs for Verizon?

Just got a new Verizon TP from Asurion and am testing some ROMs. With this memory-crippled device, many of the ROMs don't work well or at all. I need some recommendations on best choices. My needs are pretty basic but must be memory-efficient, fast and stable. Also, any tweaks specific to the Verizon version that help a lot?

Have used Titanium. Do any of the other UIs fit the bill as well?

Let me know if you need more info and thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dlee83 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Best Current TP ROMs for Verizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosherham51 View Post
Just got a new Verizon TP from Asurion and am testing some ROMs. With this memory-crippled device, many of the ROMs don't work well or at all. I need some recommendations on best choices. My needs are pretty basic but must be memory-efficient, fast and stable. Also, any tweaks specific to the Verizon version that help a lot?

Have used Titanium. Do any of the other UIs fit the bill as well?

Let me know if you need more info and thanks in advance!
The Clean ROMs work the best, obviously because they don't have TF3d or Sense which does hog a good amount of memory. But then you lose the nice visuals, and I can't get used to just using Titanium by itself.

For a TF3D ROM, SsS ROM is hands down the best performance. It's only 2.1 but if that's good enough for you, then it's by far the best. I've used it for a long time and had to give in to Sense.

For a Sense ROM, Twisted is pretty good, and so is Lunacie. If you like the start menu on top, then go with Twisted. If you like the start menu on bottom, then go with Lunacie. A 3rd goodie is NSF - it has the start menu on the bottom.

Hope this helps. Make sure you install cleanRAM. I have it tied to my hold-send-key so that I can run it after I open and close a lot of apps.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: T Pro RootRom | 2nd T Pro iRoot
Carrier: Alltel

wiskydiver1 is keeping up the good workwiskydiver1 is keeping up the good work

It looks like you're already trying out roms, and that's good, since your mileage will vary.

While you're testing, I heartily suggest going to the RootRom thread, going to his DL page, and trying out his stripped down 2.1. He did strip it for Verizon users. I have tested it, and it was wickedly fast, though my device isn't crippled. I would imagine you running that would be about equal to me running a "standard" rom.

Seriously, give it a try!

I'm just here to help. Well, help, and flash, and flash, and flash...
If I was able to help you today, kindly click the Thanks! button.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC hero
Carrier: Sprint

Never4saken is keeping up the good workNever4saken is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskydiver1 View Post
It looks like you're already trying out roms, and that's good, since your mileage will vary.

While you're testing, I heartily suggest going to the RootRom thread, going to his DL page, and trying out his stripped down 2.1. He did strip it for Verizon users. I have tested it, and it was wickedly fast, though my device isn't crippled. I would imagine you running that would be about equal to me running a "standard" rom.

Seriously, give it a try!
AGREED!!! I Like ROOT ROM's

If you are like me, I have tried them all. Call me a ROM Junkie. Atleast 65 changes. ROOT's ROM's I have liked the best. But I encourage you to try them all. It gives you something to do at work. <--Did I just say that?

I need help man, I am a total ROM Junkie.
...anyone know where I can find an RA (ROM Anonymous) meeting?

Last edited by Never4saken; 02-09-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch pro

MattMojo is just getting started

I would suggest making a rom with SSK's visual kitchen 3.0 preview 2... I have done so and it is by far the fastest, most responsive rom I have used on my Verizon phone. The best combination for me was 6.1 + TF3d1.2 with no "frills" added (meaning standard slide-to-answer dialing, no custom top bar icons, ect..) -- my memory hovers around 75-80% used... plus the device has no lag whatsoever.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Threadstarter

kosherham51 is a n00b

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Am trying all of them. Best I seem to get is abt 33M free on any of them and Opera Mobile craps out loading pages because of memory. If anyone else has any additional suggestions, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dlee83 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosherham51 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Am trying all of them. Best I seem to get is abt 33M free on any of them and Opera Mobile craps out loading pages because of memory. If anyone else has any additional suggestions, let me know. Thanks in advance!
Yup, that sounds about right. The only way I can really use Opera is to disable Sense first (Start -> Settings -> Home -> Items -> Uncheck everything). Then I can use Opera for as long as I please really. But it is a pain in the a$$ to have to do all that just to browse the web. I haven't been able to find a workaround, unless you use one of the clean ROMs that just have Titanium.

Also, when you download a ROM, I suggest changing the pool page to 4mb. I found that to work the best for me. Our crippled RAM is just not cut out to handle pool page. I've heard other people having decent performance with 6 or 8mb, but my personal experience has been 4 is the best. That's the lowest you can set before "No page pool" which is a dynamic page pool, and that is a big no-no on our VZ TPs.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Touch Pro forum.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

change the pagepool down below 6. im currently running SSK 3.0 at 3 or 4 for the PP and with 6.1 im running at 35% used on startup and with TF that jumps to 50-55% but im running SPB MS 3.0.1 with the sense UI and running 50-53%.

the lower the PP the more ram you have available. i notice no difference between 6 and 4 other than having more available to me. i dont think i have tried it any lower than other 3 or 4 so im not sure what going lower would do.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: verizon

mecpfirst is just getting started

ive tried alot of roms as well ... the best luck i had was with mighty 4.16 that is win 6.1
but rstg and psychi have worked great too they are both 6.5

you can disable voice command and the custom dialers to gain a touch
more ram and page pool at 4-6 is a must.

Verizon TP (gimp)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro