PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail

I'm using the stock ROM with no registry tweaks whatsoever. The phone rings after 2 rings, which is only one more than a dumbphone I tested on the same network. It rings at least 5 times, so I'm not going to fail to get it out in time - if it only rang 3 times and it missed the first 2, it would be a problem, but that's not the case for me. Everything works fine for me. There are lots of rough edges - build quality is pretty pathetic even compared to the AT&T version, heat is annoying, non-flush screen under the plastic (which isn't there in the AT&T version, by the way - I tried it) - but lots of things others complain about never seem to happen to me - missed calls don't happen, battery life is actually decent for me, etc. If I'm having this much luck stock, I wonder what a better ROM would do for me. The single biggest annoyance for me is the way the spacebar feels (it takes a surprising amount of force to depress it compared to the other keys - obviously a build defect), which I may be TEP'ing due to soon. I wonder if I'm just lucky, or if I simply don't stress it as much as others.

There are certainly days when the iPhone looks darn good to me, but there are even more days where I look at it and feel grateful for the things I don't have to put up with with this phone. My favorite saying for the Touch Pro has become "The iPhone is a product. The Touch Pro is a project." I agree that some of the things are ridiculous, but even more things are amazing to me, in a good way. I don't doubt your expertise, and I wonder if somehow ours function differently from each other.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 01-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCR512 View Post
My favorite saying for the Touch Pro has become "The iPhone is a product. The Touch Pro is a project."
Nailed it!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

after re-reading thru the posts, i believe we have two kinds of people here. those who LIKE tweaking and hacking and those who HAVE to tweak and hack to get the phones to work PROPERLY. some of you like treating the phones like lego and that's fine, but some of us aren't rocket scientists and would like a phone/ppc to perform out of the box. i think that's what the op was trying to say...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro / HTC Hero

iNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariNTaYkE is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

my tp rings on the second dial tone the caller makes o.O
only reason why i got a TP is cuz i didn't want to go along with the iphone hype.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice

The problem I have with posts like this is that for most of the people that have problems with the phone and constantly compare it to the iPhone, are those types of people that HAVE to find something to nitpick about. They can never be happy with anything they're given.

The Touch Pro, as advanced as it is in comparison to the Mogul, still runs Windows Mobile, which is inherently buggy. Each new release usually brings fixes, but can often times break other components. That's why there are ROM chefs abound porting and tweaking and fixing the Windows Mobile OS for everyone else. If you really are inclined to compare it to an iPhone, then seriously just exchange it or sell it or whatever and invest in the Apple product, because you're probably going to be happier in the short term. You knew what you were getting into with the software.

I've never personally ever had problems making and receiving calls on this, or any other HTC device that came straight out of the box. I've had several replacements because of either damage I caused or a cosmetic defect and they have each worked exactly as they should, on stock software no less. The phone makes calls, it receives them and does all of the other things it is supposed to do. Just because someone calls you, and you don't hear the phone ring in exactly .0623116309 seconds doesn't mean it's a piece of crap.

HTC made a great device and the phone is solid. The software could use some work, but over all it does what it should.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

Athasian is keeping up the good workAthasian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
after re-reading thru the posts, i believe we have two kinds of people here. those who LIKE tweaking and hacking and those who HAVE to tweak and hack to get the phones to work PROPERLY. some of you like treating the phones like lego and that's fine, but some of us aren't rocket scientists and would like a phone/ppc to perform out of the box. i think that's what the op was trying to say...
What about the 3rd kind? People like me who had a phone that worked out of the box but chose to make the phone different than stock because I didn't "wanna be like everyone else"

The people who come to this board are a special type. They want more than "stock" for one reason or another. Many are tech savvy and want to make a demon from their device. Some just have different needs that the manufacturer (because face it this isnt just an HTC board and all kinds of tweaking is done) didn't choose to impliment in stock.

I'm in no way saying that you or the OP are not having the problems you are describing, but your post just discounts all of the people who have said in this very thread that the phone was not unusable to them out of the box. Reading all the posts that I have since I've gotten my Touch Pro, I do believe that there have been some problem phones. But I also believe that a good portion of the phones are just fine too.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

I completely disagree with the first post. I dont know why you would call it an epic fail if so many people are actually satisfied with their phones. Yes, the iphone works great out the box, but I, as well as most people on ppcgeeks like to customize their phones, which is why we are here in the first place.

As for tweaking, I used my phone for about a month before i did any tweaking whatsoever. It rang. I could send text messages. Oh and i could do MMS without installing extra software. I got my email. Could browse the internet. It worked.

And about costs, uh didnt the original iphone cost an outrageous amount for an inferior device which couldnt get 3g service.. which my WM based phone was able to do for years? I was actually sitting the night before the release just wondering what the big deal was about, heck, i was downloading at 3g speeds for so long, but yet these "apple fangirls" as i like to call them screamed and we their panties just to get what had been a norm for me.

I guess the above post is correct. There are two kinds of people. People who like to experiment with their phones, and see whats good for them, or people who like a phone which is good "as is" in which you cant even change the battery manually. But hey, i guess I am the one who likes to sit down on PPCgeeks or XDA occasionally and check what new software or tweak i can get.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by xgm541; 01-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Uh, guys, stop projecting. It's not about me. Or the iPhone. It's about Windows Mobile (some) and HTC software (some) and HTC hardware (some)

I expected it to go down this road, but then again pulling the band-aid off often hurts.

How many of you have Touch Pros that have never self-reset, or that you've not reset yourself to clear some issue? Do you know many phones, including smart phones, have no end-user "easy, like you'll likely need to do this now and then" reset button? None of them run WinMo, sure, but it is true.

Again, all I am saying is, even if this is the best, brightest polished turd to ever drop out of the HTC product pipeline, it's still a polished turd.

And yeah, I think I've got the best "version 00002" hardware build 1/9/09 touch pro there is, and that it was functioning exactly to spec out of the box.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athasian View Post
What about the 3rd kind? People like me who had a phone that worked out of the box but chose to make the phone different than stock because I didn't "wanna be like everyone else"

The people who come to this board are a special type. They want more than "stock" for one reason or another. Many are tech savvy and want to make a demon from their device. Some just have different needs that the manufacturer (because face it this isnt just an HTC board and all kinds of tweaking is done) didn't choose to impliment in stock.

I'm in no way saying that you or the OP are not having the problems you are describing, but your post just discounts all of the people who have said in this very thread that the phone was not unusable to them out of the box. Reading all the posts that I have since I've gotten my Touch Pro, I do believe that there have been some problem phones. But I also believe that a good portion of the phones are just fine too.
so did you hard reset right out the box? what about audiopara? you just opened your touch pro and starting using it?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

Athasian is keeping up the good workAthasian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post

How many of you have Touch Pros that have never self-reset, or that you've not reset yourself to clear some issue?
*raises hand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Do you know many phones, including smart phones, have no end-user "easy, like you'll likely need to do this now and then" reset button? None of them run WinMo, sure, but it is true.
Yeah and it sure was a pain in the butt to reset my Moto Q, or the multiple palm devices I've worked with. And when my samsung a900 locked up playing music? Wish I had a soft reset button instead of the yank-em-battery method.

So no, its not about you. Its about a phone that worked for me out of the box and now is customized to my own personal liking.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro