PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Adding audio out to a cheap dock.

I bought this dock... sorry about the blurry closeups.

And I want to add one of my extra headphone dongles to allow for the sound to be ported into my computer. To allow the ringer extra volume.. But the problem is that the dongle wont fit in the mini usb port on the dock.

DOCK

DONGLE

So what I wanna do is splice into the dongle and solder a extra wire on that fits in the dock port. I have a extra mini usb extender cable that I can use.

And here is the plan...

Anyone have any objections? Or do you think it will work? I don't wanna fry something by attempting something that has no chance.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Adding audio out to a cheap dock.

i would like to see what happens
Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
mabru2001

Would I be correct and assuming that the pinout and wires of both the dongle and the extender cable are the same? And should I solder the new wires to the board as in picture?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 AM
mabru2001

OK big big problem with this dock.

For some reason when I have it plugged into the wall to charge the extra battery slot and into my computer it feeds power back into my system!! WTF? There should be no connection between the two if the description of the item is correct.

"USB cable sync & charge phone ONLY. AC adapter charge 2nd battery ONLY."

But for some reason after I turn off my computer my PSU is lit up and my power light is on and so are my fans. Once I unplug it all the stuff shuts off. It took me a hour just to get my computer to turn back on after I figured it out. After discharging the system windows booted like molasses. Normal boot time 45seconds. After cheap dock 5minutes. I smell a lawsuit if my crap is fudged up. OK off to do some stress tests to see if anything is failing. People DO NOT BUY THAT DOCK. It is sold on Amazon and other places.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

izzyforreal is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey: If I understand what you are trying to do, it won't work. The mini usb on the dock that connects to the phone does not carry the audio signal, only 5.3 volts and the data signal. See this page for the pinouts: http://tinyurl.com/ytufmh
What you could do is to is to rip the mini usb connector out of the dock and replace it with the cable from the dongle. I did something along these lines and replaced a mini usb with the 11 pin usb connector. I got some epoxy putty at Pepboys to hold the connector in place.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro