PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Signal strength/phone/data connections

I have an HTC Touch Pro on the Sprint CDMA network.

Most of the time, the Sprint signal strength in my house is pretty weak - zero to 2 bars. A good day might get 3 or even 4 (out of 7). I have the same problem in my office.

I read the posts about the registry tweak to get the 'Roam Only' option in the phone settings. (now have choice of Sprint/Automatic/Roam Only). When I set the option to 'roam only' - I get all 7 bars of signal. However, my 'EV' icon now changes to 1X.

My understanding - and please correct me if I am wrong, because that understanding comes from reading these forums and most of the technical stuff on here is way over my head - anyway, I'm guessing that the signal strength is associated with the phone calls, and the EV/1X applies to the data connection. But do they interact? I gather that EV is faster than 1X - so if I set to 'roam only' and get full signal strength but only 1X - my internet browsing, SprintTV, etc would have worse performance than EV with minimal signal strength. But the full signal strength would make my phone calls clearer, increase my chances of the phone actually ringing, etc - right?

Or does the signal strength affect how strong the EV or 1X connection is? Making it is more important to get a good signal, even if it isn't EV. Are EV and 1X just network types? - that they affect the speed of data transmission on the network itself, but whether or not I get the effects or result of those transmissions depends on the signal strength?

And what about SMS and emails? Do SMS messages use the phone connection and emails the data connection? You can probably tell I have completely confused myself. (I read about PRLs and MSLs and NAM settings and I think my head is going to explode!) I have a technical-minded brain, but no background in this technology. I'm learning a lot reading these forums, though!

I am hoping someone can straighten me out.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT
Re: Signal strength/phone/data connections

Dude , one at a time if you are roaming, mot likely you will have 1x which is much slower than EV. Yes the performance of your TV and others internet app will suck. If your signal is weak that impacts your internet connection, when it is weak and you are on the vere of losing it, you switch to Roaming, make sure it is included in your plan though.
You are right on SMS and emails, you can be talking on the phone and send an sms, but you can not send an email unless you are using wifi.

Last edited by HBOOT; 01-24-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i would tell everything you said to sprint.you might be able to get an airave for free or at a discount.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

2 bars is plenty signal

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro