PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Lurker

vadox6466 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible to use an HTC Touch Pro with Virgin or Boost (monthly prepaid)?

Here's my situation.. I'm a student attending an American university from Canada. I've wanted an HTC Touch Pro ever since it was released. However, none of the providers that require a contract offer anything that would work for me -- I'm home in Canada for 4 months out of the year, and don't want to pay for a yearly contract if i'm not going to be able to use it 1/3 of the year.

So, after going through almost all the providers, I've realized that my best option is to keep my Virgin Mobile prepaid service (or change to the new Boost unlimted one..) and just get service while I'm here in university. However, I still want the TP!

Now, I'm wondering.. is it possible to get a TP from ebay or something.. and then somehow use that with my prepaid plan from Boost or Virgin? I don't need the data plans (I'm on campus with WIFI everywhere), but would like the phone.

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint

Yankees368 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Possible to use an HTC Touch Pro with Virgin or Boost (monthly prepaid)?

You could opt for the GSM version (fuze) and use it on a go phone plan with AT&T.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

vadox6466 is a n00b

Well, the go plan would make me purchase the phone at full price from ATT

PLus, Boost has a much better deal.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO

Yankees368 is becoming a great contributor

I dont even think you can get a PRO on the CDMA side of boost.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good workTProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good work

I don't believe boost or virgin support smart phones. The best deal would actually be to get a Fuze on contract from AT&T, then when you are out of the country, suspend your AT&T account and pop in a Rogers prepaid card.

Edit: When your account is suspended from AT&T, it still counts towards your contract but you pay a very reduced rate (read sub $20).
Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

vadox6466 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TProUserOnSprint View Post
I don't believe boost or virgin support smart phones. The best deal would actually be to get a Fuze on contract from AT&T, then when you are out of the country, suspend your AT&T account and pop in a Rogers prepaid card.

Edit: When your account is suspended from AT&T, it still counts towards your contract but you pay a very reduced rate (read sub $20).
No, boost/virgin don't directly support smartphones, but I was thinking (i read somebody saying they did this on a different forum) that if you could unlock the HTC TP and then flash it with the phone details of my virgin/boost phone? I dont know the technical aspects of it, which is why I'm posting. Something about IEEM or smthng like that *shrugs*
Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadox6466 View Post
No, boost/virgin don't directly support smartphones, but I was thinking (i read somebody saying they did this on a different forum) that if you could unlock the HTC TP and then flash it with the phone details of my virgin/boost phone? I dont know the technical aspects of it, which is why I'm posting. Something about IEEM or smthng like that *shrugs*
Technically it IS possible, just like people has used Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon's network. HOWEVER keep in mind that every CDMA provider is different when it comes protocol and configuration. Although you can keep the stock Sprint ROM and do some EPST changes (headache headache), flash the Virgin/Boost's PRL (if you can get your hands on one), and keep your fingers crossed. So far I don't think anybody has done it with a well, "low-end" provider, nor they really deserve to be running good smart phones.

Try MetroPCS instead, no contract, but not prepaid neither.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

vadox6466 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
Technically it IS possible, just like people has used Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon's network. HOWEVER keep in mind that every CDMA provider is different when it comes protocol and configuration. Although you can keep the stock Sprint ROM and do some EPST changes (headache headache), flash the Virgin/Boost's PRL (if you can get your hands on one), and keep your fingers crossed. So far I don't think anybody has done it with a well, "low-end" provider, nor they really deserve to be running good smart phones.

Try MetroPCS instead, no contract, but not prepaid neither.
thanks so much. that's the exact answer I was looking for.

Unfortunately, MetroPCS doesn't have service in my area..

I guess I'll stick with a prepaid service (or switch to the new boost plan.. or wait for virgin to changes prices accordingly)
Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadox6466 View Post
thanks so much. that's the exact answer I was looking for.

Unfortunately, MetroPCS doesn't have service in my area..

I guess I'll stick with a prepaid service (or switch to the new boost plan.. or wait for virgin to changes prices accordingly)
steve hit the nail on the head. It is possible, but there are no guarantees whether or not you can get it to work [or find what you need to make it work, for that matter]

Unfortunately, you may need to figure something else out... Personally, I think the Touch Pro is good enough to sacrifice some part of my budget

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro