PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: TMO

rpmccormick is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very Selective Registry Backup

I've tried multiple logging tools now, but none of them will do the simple task that I want to accomplish in order to make a good UC so that I can install ROMs at will without having to worry about the painful re-configuration process. Come to think of it, I have always wanted this exact same tool for the windows registry as well. Does any one know of a program for PPC (or Windows) that functions like this:

1) I run it, it takes a snap-shot of my registry and then closes (just the common areas where programs and the system UI store all their configuration, not the tons of keys and values that change multiple times a second whenever the screen is clicked).

2) I configure however much or little I want... from the options tab of a single installed program, to every single icon in the 3 Start->Settings tabs plus options in multiple programs.

3) I run it again, it takes another snapshot, then lets me review any differances it found. Again, must filter out the normal system changes that go on, as well as any folder that has zero changes to all of its values.

4) I can check any differance I want, and when I'm all done it will make me a .reg file or whatever it is for PPC (even a txt or XML file would be fine) that contains those values in a way they can be restored.

5) I am now super happy because anytime I ever have to install the same version of that same program on a new ROM, a new windows installation, or a compleatly different PC/PPC, all I have to do is import those registry keys to have it configured exactly how I want. I can easily share it with others so they can have their options configured just like mine too.

I'm just so sick of going through every option on every window & tab for every program (especially tweak programs) on every computer or PPC I ever use, and then having to do it again everytime I have to re-install Windows or hard-reset/ROMupdate my PPC.

If you know of such a program for the PPC or just for windows, I beg of you to share the name of it! I have searched and never found one. I sure wish someone would write one. Seems like an easy logical step from the current registry loggers.
Telus v1.04.05V Radio

Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Re: Very Selective Registry Backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
I've tried multiple logging tools now, but none of them will do the simple task that I want to accomplish in order to make a good UC so that I can install ROMs at will without having to worry about the painful re-configuration process. Come to think of it, I have always wanted this exact same tool for the windows registry as well. Does any one know of a program for PPC (or Windows) that functions like this:

1) I run it, it takes a snap-shot of my registry and then closes (just the common areas where programs and the system UI store all their configuration, not the tons of keys and values that change multiple times a second whenever the screen is clicked).

2) I configure however much or little I want... from the options tab of a single installed program, to every single icon in the 3 Start->Settings tabs plus options in multiple programs.

3) I run it again, it takes another snapshot, then lets me review any differances it found. Again, must filter out the normal system changes that go on, as well as any folder that has zero changes to all of its values.

4) I can check any differance I want, and when I'm all done it will make me a .reg file or whatever it is for PPC (even a txt or XML file would be fine) that contains those values in a way they can be restored.

5) I am now super happy because anytime I ever have to install the same version of that same program on a new ROM, a new windows installation, or a compleatly different PC/PPC, all I have to do is import those registry keys to have it configured exactly how I want. I can easily share it with others so they can have their options configured just like mine too.

I'm just so sick of going through every option on every window & tab for every program (especially tweak programs) on every computer or PPC I ever use, and then having to do it again everytime I have to re-install Windows or hard-reset/ROMupdate my PPC.

If you know of such a program for the PPC or just for windows, I beg of you to share the name of it! I have searched and never found one. I sure wish someone would write one. Seems like an easy logical step from the current registry loggers.
Yes, this is very easy and a pretty common method.

What you need to do is download CEReg Edit.... Export Reg.

Make changes Export reg again.

use Windiff to show you the changes. Its a file comparer....

Grab changes and cab them up for autoinstall or XML them or RGU them. Whatever floats your boat.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: TMO
Threadstarter

rpmccormick is becoming a great contributor

Anyone else have any suggestions. I would like something a bit more automated then manually using WinDiff to look through tons of registry changes that happen every time you click the screen. I need something that is built for this task and filters out the junk changes you would never want to save. Something that shows you the relevant changes without having to scroll through the entire registry looking for colored lines. Something that is a single solution to this task, not 3 separate programs.

Why hasn't anyone ever built this?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

Yeah, I would Love this too, I haven't ever heard of anything like it though....
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2
Carrier: Telus

O'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on repO'Neil Mitchell is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Yahoo to O'Neil Mitchell Send a message via Skype™ to O'Neil Mitchell

Spb Backup has a ROM update Mode
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I too have been looking for something similar, taking a before and after snapshot and keeping the difference. I found this link on the XDA forums... I'm going to try it out and see how it works
http://www.s-k-tools.com/index.html?...er/m_feat.html

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro