PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Facebook mobile freezing Opera Mobile/Touch Pro

It's definitely m.facebook.com doing this, no other site I visit or in my favorites.

It only started happening yesterday. The site began "forgetting" my password, then my login too. I cleared the cache, the history, passwords and everything but I can reliably get Opera Mobile to freeze just about every time I go there. The two username/password boxes borders are lit up yellow, and OM just freezes and nothing I can do gets it or the device to respond.

As I said I already tried clearing all the data from OM, no dice.

I also tried:

-deleting Facebook from my favorites and typing in www.facebook.com in the URL bar. This starts loading a slightly different variation of m.facebook.com but freezes it all up even before it gets as far as the login screen.

-WM Internet Explorer loads the site fine, although I don't like it as much as OM.

What could possibly be going on here? Suggestions?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work
Re: Facebook mobile freezing Opera Mobile/Touch Pro

And just as suddenly as this problem started, it stopped. Through no action of mine (I think). Just another example of TP weirdness I guess. Maybe something was wrong with Facebook themselves....?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

And it's doing this again.

WTF?

All I can tell you that's out of the ordinary is that somehow I had auto-correct turned on (discovered today while replying to an email) and I turned it back off (although I think that's unrelated to this problem)--and when I go to m.facebook.com it doesn't take me to the signed-in status page as usual, only displays my email in the username box with a blank password field, with both boxes higlighted yellow in their borders and the page, browser and device all freeze like the first post says.

Does anyone have any idea what's up? Can you test m.facebook.com in your Opera Mobile and see if this is happening with you?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Talking to "myself" here in the hopes it will benefit others and maybe finally get some input.

I think I've fixed the problem (at least for now). But to do it I had to go into Opera Mobile's Settings - Privacy - Password Management. I unchecked "Pre-fill form fields" and now the FB login page doesn't freeze anymore, but I have to enter my password.

In that menu, it looks like you're supposed to be able to delete individual logins for all the password-protected pages you visit, but if you use the trash icon in the lower right and delete anything, it just blanks everything out (as if getting rid of all the saved logins even if you have only ONE highlighted) and then if you exit the PW Mgmt menu and come back to it it's all still there.

So my theory is that I had a corrupted password file saved and it caused OM to hang.

Anyone have anything to suggest--clearing everything (cache, etc.) from within the browser menu doesn't seem to have any effect, is there a file I can delete in the WM file system to help with this? The tradeoff of logging into FB is one I can live with but I'd really like to understand what is causing this issue.

Last edited by Nagual; 01-24-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

ajskhan is becoming a great contributor

Maybe try a hard reset?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajskhan View Post
Maybe try a hard reset?
I'll take that as a LOL remark...even if I were unable to fix the problem, which now I think I have fixed, I wouldn't take such a drastic measure to *maybe* fix this relatively minor issue.

(Maybe a running joke - as people used to say "Format C:\" for all Windows problems, now it's "Hard Reset" for the Touch Pro. Screen dirty? Hard reset. Ha ha.)

Unless I didn't search thoroughly enough I don't think anyone's posted about a similar problem before either...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Not sure if it's related by Skybook is getting into an endless error loop today, so I wonder if Facebook is screwing up?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

ryeguy8585 is a n00b

I have the exact same problem, Im using Juggalo's latest ROM.
Sometimes when I goto m.facebook.com the whole phone just locks up, and I have to soft reset. Othertimes it works just fine. But more often than not going to FB on my TP w/ opera locks it up completely.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

cchris81 is keeping up the good workcchris81 is keeping up the good work

mine has been doing this too, got sick of reentering my stuff and i cleared everthing 102 times, so i've been going to iphone.facebook.com only downside is, when you click on pictures you cant see them and you can't write anything (walls, messages, coments)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

You can always try what I suggested in post #4 - I don't mind reentering my password each time, I got used to it, and it solved the issue. Would be interested to know what causes it though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro