PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

bishop0114 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dispise the Touch Pro

Hello everyone,
Am I alone here with my feelings about the Touch Pro? I temporarily switched to Sprint and had their version of the Touch Pro and now I am through Verizon with their version. I have to say that the Verizon version is COMPLETELY AWFUL while The Sprint version is just a step up at TERRIBLE. I have been using pocket PCs for many years and I have to say the Touch Pro is by far worse.

I have used multiple ROMs that do help but don't resolve the problems.

-GPS is AWFUL or unusable.
-It is SLOW (half the speed of the XV6800 on a good day)
-Crashes constantly
-Telephone half the time wont hang up
-The physical buttons only work half the time
-The screen is slow and unresponsive
-Bluetooth disconnects, or "goes corrupt" and I have to hard reset.
-Camera is awful. SLOW, Difficult and most pics are blurry.
-Should I even bother mentioning battery life?
-The physical hardware is fragile at best

LOL... OK, I am done with my rant... Now I feel better.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative phone? I have read the specs on the Omnia but it sounds like aside from a better camera, I would loose many features. Aside from that, I am ready to go back to my Mogul.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: I dispise the Touch Pro

There are a lot of people here who love their Omnia's. If you are within 30 days, you might want to switch to an Omnia to see how you like it.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

what the hell is wrong with the GPS?! Install QuickGPS and supposedly you can cut lock times down to seconds, almost as fast as the Sprint TP locks.

I must say, having moved from the Mogul and dealing memory issues everyday and systematically closing every application after I used it, the TouchPro is wayyy faster.

I dislike the hardware buttons though. It seems that they are capacitive and require human touch to operate, so if I press the button with my gloves, it doesn't recognize it. I guess its good because it prevents calls from inside the pocket, but annoying because its like 10 degrees out and you want place a call without frostbite.

Anyway besides from that and the scroll wheel I don't think the Mogul trumps anything the TP has, especially in terms of performance.

Also the only reason I'm glad my phone has a camera is because I can use the flash as a flashlight. I never actually use the camera program, every phone I've had has horrific cameras. On the Mogul at least I could use it as a webcam, but the software hasn't been updated yet to work on the TP which sucks. I like to think of myself as an amateur photographer so I carry a compact everywhere I go since it just slips into my pocket. If you want nice camera quality, you won't find it in a phone with the lenses they have.

The Omnia looks like a nice device though and it still runs on Windows Mobile, but whether that is a good or bad thing you can decide.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 02-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

steb0ne is becoming a great contributor

Ur crazy if you think the Mogul is better. You must have a bad device. I'd try hard resetting it

EDIT: Oh you must have the Verizon version. Sorry

Last edited by steb0ne; 02-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jeffreynew23 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop0114 View Post
Hello everyone,
Am I alone here with my feelings about the Touch Pro? I temporarily switched to Sprint and had their version of the Touch Pro and now I am through Verizon with their version. I have to say that the Verizon version is COMPLETELY AWFUL while The Sprint version is just a step up at TERRIBLE. I have been using pocket PCs for many years and I have to say the Touch Pro is by far worse.

I have used multiple ROMs that do help but don't resolve the problems.

-GPS is AWFUL or unusable.
-It is SLOW (half the speed of the XV6800 on a good day)
-Crashes constantly
-Telephone half the time wont hang up
-The physical buttons only work half the time
-The screen is slow and unresponsive
-Bluetooth disconnects, or "goes corrupt" and I have to hard reset.
-Camera is awful. SLOW, Difficult and most pics are blurry.
-Should I even bother mentioning battery life?
-The physical hardware is fragile at best

LOL... OK, I am done with my rant... Now I feel better.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative phone? I have read the specs on the Omnia but it sounds like aside from a better camera, I would loose many features. Aside from that, I am ready to go back to my Mogul.

I felt that same way that you felt. I started using JDs se7evn ROM on Sprint. Its changed the way that I feel about the Pro. its super fast and doesnt freeze anymore. I am considering switching over to the Palm Pre when it comes out.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Other than no hardware keyboard, the Omnia is a nice phone. Being you have been flashing roms, I would say use Mighy Mike's Rom and take the time to do some reg edits to fix the other issues. As far as battery life...it is HTC product go figure. And there is covers and skins to improve the durability. I love my TP other than I dont use Touch flow, I got other uses for my memory.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor

Mine hasn't given me any of the issues you mentioned, sounds like you you got a really bad one. The Verizon model will always be that bad though, but Sprint, no way, I think you got a faulty one.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm not really sure whats wrong with your TP..But i'm not having any of those issues with mine. The GPS works great, I get a lock within 30 seconds. With Scotts ROM loaded on my phone its a lot faster and mine NEVER crashes. If I were you I would have a look at these two threads before you return the phone.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56777

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

knife is just getting started
Send a message via Skype™ to knife

While I can agree that the device comes setup poorly, if you take the time to read the best practice / FAQs provided on this site (and XDA) you "should" find that the Touch Pro is a capable and powerful device.

I have used a few devices as well (i730/i760/Blackjack/Titan) and found all of them to have their own "quirks". Once this device was setup the way I wanted it to be (and yes I am using the stock VZW leaked ROM) I have had only minor issues facing button responsiveness and GPS lag - both I can live with.

The phone (flashed to telus) is fantastic and clear. GPS works like a dream (with a little lag in Garmin XT, but so what) and is customizable to whatever use I throw at it.

Honestly for you to go in and put a post like this on this board shows either:
1. You have not taken the time to learn anything about the device. (OR)
2. You have had two bad devices in a row, which I think would be really bad luck.

Sorry to say, but I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you on this.

Knife
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot

You might have a lemon touch pro cause mines on the sprint stock rom and runs like a whipped dog on a cold tuesday! And I have A TON of apps/programs and I can count on both hands how many times I HAD to soft reset cause of problems! So try in get a replacement and see how it runs than. In my Opinion I don't see a better phone out right now that tops the TP

*formerly known as Not_A_Stain*

GOOGLE WAVE USER
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro