PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here is how to change the soft-keyboard press & hold delay (now w/ cabs!)

Edit:

As I expected, this is more useful to the Diamond users than TP users. For me, though, I still find this useful with TP. I cab'ed the values for those who don't want to edit their registry directly.

See below...

///

Original message:

I have both the Diamond and Touch Pro, and use the soft-keyboard on the Touch Pro more than the hardware keyboard. In case you didn't know, you can "press and hold" any key to invoke the shaded character on the key, or open the number pad directly by pressing the "sym" key.

It has always annoyed me that the press and hold delay was too long. If I wanted to invoke the number pad or enter numbers/symbols directly by press and hold, I had to wait a long time for each character.

I sought and found that the press and hold delay is 600 ms (that's more than 1/2 second). I decided to change the delay to 300 ms and now the keyboard experience is much more pleasant and alternate key entry is much faster.

Here is the reg-key:

HKLM\Software\Tegic\eT9\PressAndHoldTimer=600

Simply change this value to whatever you want. I find that 300 ms is very usable and reduces the wait time before a number or symbol pops up.

I have not seen this listed in the TP nor Diamond forum so I figure I'll share. If there is enough interest and people do not want to do direct registry edits, I will create a few .cabs with different delay values.

Cheers.

////

Edit:

I cab'ed some of the values. The default is 600 millseconds.

1) Each of the cab's file name represents the new delay value. Download and install the one you want to try. 400 or 350ms are probably good starting points.

2) The cabs can be uninstalled. Upon un-install, the delay will revert to 600ms.

3) Uninstall the previous delay cab (Settings>System>Remove Programs) before installing another one.

4) Soft-reset after installing cab

5) Enjoy

Notes:
From my post below, where someone saw an excessive repeat in charaters. If you're seeing the same -->

Take a look at Settings>Buttons>Up/Down Control

I presume the one you want to prolong is "Delay before first repeat".

As far as I can tell, changing these sliders is altering what is described in this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49901

Last edited by snovvman; 01-23-2009 at 02:23 AM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Here is how to change the soft-keyboard press & hold delay

i think its easyer to usethe full qwerty, numbers are allready there.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.
Threadstarter

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Here is how to change the soft-keyboard press & hold delay (now w/ cabs!)

I cab'ed up the changes, in case someone wants to use it. Cheers.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro