PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

henbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Manila TF3D - What's The Point?

I recently got my Touch Pro, moving up from a Mogul. I really love it. TF3D is great for me. If I wanna change how it looks or what I can access, I just look here or at XDA. I see a lot of the complaints of TF3D and dont understand why people do not just disable it and run whatever they want. Seems like more energy to complain about something than to just change it.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

henbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
tf3d looks nothing like the iphone
Unless you want it to, of course.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

What a silly post, if you don't like TF3D simply disable it & use something else (nobody is forcing you to use it)

I have TF3D, Mobile Shell & HTC_HOME all installed & swap back & forth depending on my mood that day.

When I use TF3D, I run Weather Panel (hands down the best weather app) from a 2nd Today screen mapped to the right soft button which opens almost instantly & works perfectly.

~John
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Threadstarter

jazee is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemepls View Post
God... It has very little to do with the iphone. People wanted something more finger friendly so htc came through with the htc home plug in. Then they did one better with tf3d. It was heading in that direction anyway. Why must the iphone always be mentioned. tf3d looks nothing like the iphone
The iPhone is only mentioned because it is sort of the model for finger friendly, as you put it, and was the first to market. Not that I've every owned one - so my mentioning it is just a matter of mentioning what I consider the obvious - I'm not making any specific comparisons to the iPhone or endorsements of it.

Unless you were on the HTC development and/or marketing team, I don't think you can say it has very little to do with the iPhone. In all probability it has a heck of a lot to do with the iPhone. To contend that the most popular portable device, let alone phone, in history so far has no influence on the design of other competing devices developed later, is totally naive of how things in the business/marketing world work.

You see it all the time in every industry. One company comes up with electric car windows. Then all the other car manufacturers follow suit. Let's say the Thunderbird was the first with electronic car windows, then everyone else came out with them. So that would be like saying, the new Chrysler model that came out after the Thunderbird had electric windows and it had all to do with making it easier to roll up your window and had very little to do with the Thunderbird.

Is Touch Flo an attempt to copy the iPhone, of course not, that would probably infringe on some of Apple's patents.

Let's just say "Touch Flo moves the Windows Mobile devices in the direction of a more finger friendly interface similar to the finger friendly direction Apple took with the iPhone."

But then this thread has nothing to do with the iPhone aside from a brief mention that Touch Flo is closer to the iPhone than the standard WM interface. This thread is about weather Touch Flo is simply "cooler" versus practical. DS Gamer did not find it practical. Neither do I. And the fact it does not interface with the O/S well, it's really a Today screen overlay is all, is a testament to the fact it is a half-baked solution.

I'm a electronics junky. Always got to have the latest greatest computer, TV, stereo, phone, car, camera. But once you are no longer 20 years old and have been around the block a few times, and owned dozens of devices, you start to see through the sexy looks.

I do think it is an improvement/upgrade for the non-power user.

I'm sure the new version of WM will probably migrate to being a more finger friendly interface so phone manufacturers won't have to slap on proprietary overlays, to make it look more like an iPhone. Oops I said it! Ugh... I mean, won't have to slap on overlays to make WM more "finger friendly"
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Gimped Pro

robodude2 is just getting started

You figured it out.

TouchFlo3D = eye candy

Disable it. I turned mine off and never looked back. What did it for me is that the home screen won't show more than a very small number of appoints at one time, plus it only shows appointments 24 hours in advance with no option to edit this. What a total joke.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate

Kalnel is just getting started

I'm not a fan of it either, although I see the point and why so many people like it. It makes the device more user friendly (especially for newbs) and finger friendly. For people who have pretty basic uses/needs, it's convenient because they never need to leave the main screen.

I think HTC made a good attempt to improve on the interface.

Personally, I like Spb Mobile Shell better. It lets me tee up specific files, lists (like Tasks), apps, etc., in a way that accomodates how I work better.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Threadstarter

jazee is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
What a silly post, if you don't like TF3D simply disable it & use something else (nobody is forcing you to use it)

I have TF3D, Mobile Shell & HTC_HOME all installed & swap back & forth depending on my mood that day.

When I use TF3D, I run Weather Panel (hands down the best weather app) from a 2nd Today screen mapped to the right soft button which opens almost instantly & works perfectly.

~John
You're missing my point. There's a lot I like about the TF3D interface. It's just that because it is an overlay and not part of the operating system, I think it has some serious drawbacks as pointed out in the numbered points near the bottom of my original post.

If you could add 3rd party plug-ins to the today home screen instead of having to come up with a work around, that will really improve things a lot. I can toggle back and forth between the two Today screens too. Sure would be a lot better/cleaner if I could have all the info on my standard Today screen appear on the TF3D Today screen though.

You need to keep in mind, I'm not some iPhone user bashing the Fuze. I'm a happy owner! I am just disappointed HTC didn't go farther with TF3D and make it integrated with the operating system better.

That's really all I'm saying. HTC could have at least built in the ability to switch between Today screens instead of having to download some 3rd party app to do it.

Last edited by jazee; 01-21-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Just getting started
Carrier: Alltel

drea43 is becoming a great contributor

I am with all the rest Touch Pro is a great phone, it has some issues but none that would maske me not wasnt the phone asnd it is definately not the Iphone and I didn't want an Iphone because if I did I would have gotten one. These are two seperate phones You like one of them or get something else but stop comparing
Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Galaxy S7 Edge
Carrier: T-Mobile

caseyatbt is just getting started

I like the concept of the TF3D. However, I suck at it. When I try to touch it to make it flow I end up selecting it. I have not figured out how to make it work like I hear it is supposed to. I know I can adjust the pressures, but I have only experimented and still have the same problem. I would love to use it, but I am stuck using the stylus and carefully touching between icons to scroll.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea43 View Post
These are two separate phones You like one of them or get something else but stop comparing
exactly, no ones saying the OP shouldnt have an opinion but starting a rant thread about it is ridiculous. thats how WM is, if you dont like something there are variants to install. No gun to anyones head to use any particular program. But theres no need to start threads going off on rants because its not your preferrred choice.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro