PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   smtp experts needed.. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54143)

aw3964 01-21-2009 12:54 AM

smtp experts needed..

im setting up my school email on my tp, receiving fine but i could NEVER send (even on my mogul)

issue is with the smtp, im not sure why, ive tried searching the boards/sites, nothing has worked and with a new phone, id really like to solve this issue

i use an .edu email address, IMAP4 setting

imap server: imap.paws.lsu.edu
user name: johnsmith1:paws.lsu.edu@paws.lsu.edu
password: really really really long

outbound server: On the LSU campus, use outbound.lsu.edu. Otherwise, contact your service provider for the name of your ISP's relay server to use in your mail client.

so i tried outbound.lsu.edu, no luck. ive tried smtp.sprintpcs.com, no luck, any idea whats going on?

HBOOT 01-21-2009 12:59 AM

Re: smtp experts needed..

did you try smtp.lsu.edu?

kyle4269 01-21-2009 01:00 AM

I know with my service provider, i'm able to receive email messages. But when it comes to sending emails. They block you from sending email messages unless your on their network. Maybe they do the same at LSU?

Athasian 01-21-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aw3964 (Post 655312)
outbound server: On the LSU campus, use outbound.lsu.edu. Otherwise, contact your service provider for the name of your ISP's relay server to use in your mail client.

This is your problem right here. They only allow you to send if you currently have one of thier IP addresses, and being on a Sprint phone, you have a sprint IP.

Do you have a Gmail account?

If you do, go to gmail and follow their directions for setting up Pop access, but only do the outbound part (you will have to use your Gmail user/pass to authenticate to the outbound server)

If you don't ... get gmail. Its free

minnesotaroofing 01-21-2009 01:08 AM

I had the same problem even though i am a pop account - i did not have the authenicate outgoing server checked in the advanced settings -- you should as well have the usesame as incoming box checked.

Athasian 01-21-2009 01:14 AM

Instructions for Gmail.

1st. Log into your gmail account. Click settings, go the the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Under "POP Access" make sure its set to enabled.

2nd On your phone setup the incoming servers per your normal way of recieving. When it gets to outgoing server use the following : smtp.gmail.com

Check "outgoing server requires authentication" and uncheck "use the same username and password for sending e-mail"
Click "Advanced Server Settings" at the bottom - should be a link in blue underline.
check "Require SSL for Outgoing E-mail"
click done and then next. put in your gmail username and pass ( I think it uses the whole gmail e-mail address)

Finish as usual per your wants/desires.

You should now be able to send e-mail.

aw3964 01-21-2009 01:49 AM

gmail method works, but the message gets sent with my gmail email address, any way to get it to say my school email? it just doesnt seem as professional..

SharpTJ 01-21-2009 01:53 AM

i just use smtp.comast.net and it worked until I figured out out how to set it up and make UT happy

sikclown 01-21-2009 02:36 AM

Have you tried entering the imap info for the smtp server and select my outgoing server requires authentication and using the same username and password? Also smtp.sprintpcs.com reguires you to change the port from 25 to 24 and use your Powervision username and password for authentication. If none of this works here is a link to a list of tons of free smtp servers you can try http://www.e-eeasy.com/SMTPServerList.aspx

Hafrust 01-21-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

im setting up my school email on my tp, receiving fine but i could NEVER send (even on my mogul)

issue is with the smtp, im not sure why, ive tried searching the boards/sites, nothing has worked and with a new phone, id really like to solve this issue
Who is your provider? I know people who have Sprint are able to use the Sprint SMTP info and send messages from their phones. From what I remember reading, it will still show as coming from your school account. Not sure if any other provider offers the same.