PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

chelboed is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS calibration?

Okay, so going from the Mogul I've noticed:
1. GPS shows my location to be 25-30 feet off the actual location. My 4 Moguls were always "right on". I'm using Live Search. I'm assuming that the GPS is just not as accurate, but could it be Live Search? I have the new version in it which has the "birds eye view" option. I don't really care for the so called upgraded version.

Ideas? Fixes?

Side note:
Video playback was less "choppy" on the Mogul.
Still can't preview new emails in TF3D unless I navigate away from inbox and go back to it.

Any fixes?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: GPS calibration?

Join the club. All are known issues with the TP. hehe
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO3D;EVO4G;TP2;Treo Pro;TP;Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

u8myfoood is keeping up the good worku8myfoood is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to u8myfoood

You can't calibrate the GPS, it is built into the ROM/firmware, it may get progressively better over the next year or so. After all the Titan started out with no gps at all, but slowly, ROM update after ROM update, it began to speed up the connection with improved accuracy.

Just wait it out, there is no chance that you can tweat it because it is all about calibration to the scale of nano-seconds when it comes to GPS signals, so leave it to the professionals to do. Just read the wikipedia article if you want more information on how a GPS really works if anything?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well said there u8myfoood. I agree that with time we will see the GPS be more accurate.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

chelboed is a n00b

Mmkay...thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO
Carrier: Sprint

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

There are times even the best hand held GPS units are "off." Reasons are normally environmental: buildings and other obstructions, being in the care, et cetera. My Garmin Colorado 400T was off up to 30 feet at times.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

reason...crap for gps antenna

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

chelboed is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post
There are times even the best hand held GPS units are "off." Reasons are normally environmental: buildings and other obstructions, being in the care, et cetera. My Garmin Colorado 400T was off up to 30 feet at times.

I realize that...the point is that the TP is nowhere near as accurate as the Mogul was. My Mogul would stay right on the plotted line. My TP looks like a drunk driver weaving all over the place.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i've never experienced that in tt7... it usually knows what lane i'm in. i have a bluetooth holux receiver that i keep in the car just incase, but i've never had to use it. its not *extremely* accurate, and yeah, its about a block and a half to two blocks at 35mph lagged in nyc, but it knows what side of the road i'm on lol
Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

the accurate to within a foot gps units that the mapping companies use (Navteq and telenv) require huge roof mounted recievers, being within 30 feet on a device with no antenae is quite spectacular. although your previous devices claimed to be more accurate, I doubt this was the case, I am convinced they are the same, but the new chips output accuracy info more accurately. Actually, I recall seing acurracy info in the registry as well, I bet you could make the unit think it was more accurate than it actually is

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro