PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DSGamer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Considering coming back again, thumb pain has returned, question?

I think the handwriting is on the wall for me. I had thumb pain very badly before I switched to the Touch Pro. It's combination of many things. For starters I was hit by a car while on my bike in August. The bike I purchased to replace it had index thumb shifters until I switched them out for road hand shifters. Also I'm a software engineer. So my career puts overuse on my thumbs. Finally I'm a gamer and an iPod user.

A few months ago I traded in my Centro for a Touch Pro. The Touch Pro was okay, overall, but much too slow for my liking, so it went back and I got a Centro again.

Now, as goofy as it seems, I'm looking at the Touch Pro again. I've stopped gaming. I've stopped using my iPod. I've basically stopped doing anything that could cause a problem, potentially. My bike is better. My thumbs should be getting better.

But they're not. They still ache and hurt and they seem to ache and hurt worse when I use the hard buttons on the Centro. So I'm getting a Touch Pro again. Just buying it outright as my contract is not renewable after all that.

My question is this, I've heard people speak of a ROM or a ROM kit that can make the touch pro faster. What's this I hear about the radio, though? What is the fix for the radio and how does it improve battery life? Should I install a custom ROM or wait for this rumored "official" ROM. Thanks.
PDA/Smartphone History: Casio Cassiopeia A-10 -> HP Jornada 430 -> HP Jornada 720 -> HP Joranda 545 -> HP Jornada 720 -> Compaq iPaq 3760 -> Palm m130 -> Palm Zire 31 -> Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 -> Palm m130 -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro -> T-Mobile G1 -> HTC Touch Pro -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff
Re: Considering coming back again, thumb pain has returned, question?

well, there's a new rom coming at some point, but custom roms offer the most tweaks for your time. most every rom is going to have the basic speed tweaks (sd card, battery/power management/cache, etc...), so its really just personal preference.

i prefer percocet personally.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
well, there's a new rom coming at some point, but custom roms offer the most tweaks for your time. most every rom is going to have the basic speed tweaks (sd card, battery/power management/cache, etc...), so its really just personal preference.

i prefer percocet personally.
Yeah, I'd prefer no thumb pain.

Can most of those speed tweaks be gained doing them one by one to the stock ROM?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM
i don't miss blackberry

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

yeah, pretty much. roms generally have less of the bloatware that comes on a stock rom. there are a few things that can only be changed on the rom level, but i'd say that like 99% of the tweaks can be done one by one. that's what i've done with my tp. on the diamond i had a custom rom but thats cause i was lazy.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Okay, thanks. What about the Radio fix that people are talking about? Can that only be done with a custom ROM?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
i don't miss blackberry

nope, you can do that with a stock rom. it just flashes the radio rom itself, not the phone's rom.

----errr, wait.. you mean fm radio, or cdma? cause fm radio doesn't really work as of yet iirc.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, I was talking about the radio for the cell phone itself. The radio for receiving signal from the towers, etc., not FM Radio.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro