PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

speck is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
question about email setup

I've been getting email by going through Opera to the mail sites (gmail and yahoo). Is there a way I can get the emails to come through the 'messages' tab in TF3D? I don't need the mail to be 'pushed' automatically - I can request it - but can I set things up to view it through the TF3D tab? Even if I could just receive and not send out mail it would be great.

See, I have other work and personal email accounts on which I've set various rules and filters that forward specific emails (to yahoo right now; I'm considering switching to the gmail). I set up yahoo to alert me when an email comes in. I then start opera, go to yahoo mail and sign in to check the message. It will be so much simpler (and faster) if I can use the email message tab in TF3D - I read the text message, hit the other tab and pull the email.

Is this possible?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch/Touch Pro

avgas is keeping up the good workavgas is keeping up the good work
Re: question about email setup

go to messages > setup email
Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Yes... Go to the email tab in Touch Flo... Click on menu, then accounts, then new account... Here you can set up your email for yahoo and gmail....
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

Athasian is keeping up the good workAthasian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 View Post
Yes... Go to the email tab in Touch Flo... Click on menu, then accounts, then new account... Here you can set up your email for yahoo and gmail....
This will work if you have POP access to the mail account.

Gmail has free POP access, Yahoo used to charge, but its been a very long time since I've used my yahoo mail so I can't tell you if they charge now or not.

For the gmail settings, I am pretty sure you can use the automatic detection, tho if it doesnt work, use the settings from the help section of the gmail page.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Gmail and Yahoo work fine for me....
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Gmail has worked fine for me in my TouchPro from TF3D & my previous Titan in M2D

~John
Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

speck is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athasian View Post
This will work if you have POP access to the mail account.
I think it is the whole POP3 thing that I wasn't getting. I didn't realize that's what the email tab uses, and I didn't realize that a webmail account could be accessed that way. Don't laugh, but I was thinking more along the lines of the email tab being some kind of scripting or 'screen scrape' (I'm showing my age!) that could log me in and pull the mail to display (for the web-based email). I think I need to check out wikipedia a bit more (POP3 and SMTP now make sense, IMAP not so much (is it just a different kind of POP3?))

Quote:
Gmail has free POP access, Yahoo used to charge
Hmmm...I just checked and it seems yahoo still charges. But I want the alerts and gmail can't do that. Yahoo wants $20 a year for their 'plus' mail. But before I spend that, I think I'll first look into FlexMail that I read about here somewhere. I think it has alerts and a lot more, but it's hard to choose what to buy when you aren't sure what the features of the product even do

Quote:
For the gmail settings, I am pretty sure you can use the automatic detection.
This worked just great!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Yahoo is a bit flaky on their email. I have my Yahoo! IMAP account set up on my device and once in a while Yahoo! lets me connect, other times not at all. Must be a Yahoo! thing.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment < - Awesome!

ramiss is becoming a great contributor

Basically POP3 will download all of the emails and remove them from the server. IMAP, on the other hand, will sync them. Which means they will be left on the server so you can also check them from another device/computer/browser etc.

IMAP also supports multiple folders and IMAP IDLE (similar to push email) and various other features. Whereas POP3 does not do any of this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro