PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   question about email setup (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53756)

speck 01-18-2009 06:42 PM

question about email setup

I've been getting email by going through Opera to the mail sites (gmail and yahoo). Is there a way I can get the emails to come through the 'messages' tab in TF3D? I don't need the mail to be 'pushed' automatically - I can request it - but can I set things up to view it through the TF3D tab? Even if I could just receive and not send out mail it would be great.

See, I have other work and personal email accounts on which I've set various rules and filters that forward specific emails (to yahoo right now; I'm considering switching to the gmail). I set up yahoo to alert me when an email comes in. I then start opera, go to yahoo mail and sign in to check the message. It will be so much simpler (and faster) if I can use the email message tab in TF3D - I read the text message, hit the other tab and pull the email.

Is this possible?

avgas 01-18-2009 06:51 PM

Re: question about email setup

go to messages > setup email

BigDiesel07 01-18-2009 06:51 PM

Yes... Go to the email tab in Touch Flo... Click on menu, then accounts, then new account... Here you can set up your email for yahoo and gmail....

Athasian 01-18-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 649592)
Yes... Go to the email tab in Touch Flo... Click on menu, then accounts, then new account... Here you can set up your email for yahoo and gmail....

This will work if you have POP access to the mail account.

Gmail has free POP access, Yahoo used to charge, but its been a very long time since I've used my yahoo mail so I can't tell you if they charge now or not.

For the gmail settings, I am pretty sure you can use the automatic detection, tho if it doesnt work, use the settings from the help section of the gmail page.

BigDiesel07 01-18-2009 07:27 PM

Gmail and Yahoo work fine for me....

jmorton10 01-18-2009 07:46 PM

Gmail has worked fine for me in my TouchPro from TF3D & my previous Titan in M2D

~John

speck 01-18-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athasian (Post 649598)
This will work if you have POP access to the mail account.

I think it is the whole POP3 thing that I wasn't getting. I didn't realize that's what the email tab uses, and I didn't realize that a webmail account could be accessed that way. Don't laugh, but I was thinking more along the lines of the email tab being some kind of scripting or 'screen scrape' (I'm showing my age!) that could log me in and pull the mail to display (for the web-based email). I think I need to check out wikipedia a bit more (POP3 and SMTP now make sense, IMAP not so much (is it just a different kind of POP3?))

Quote:

Gmail has free POP access, Yahoo used to charge
Hmmm...I just checked and it seems yahoo still charges. But I want the alerts and gmail can't do that. Yahoo wants $20 a year for their 'plus' mail. But before I spend that, I think I'll first look into FlexMail that I read about here somewhere. I think it has alerts and a lot more, but it's hard to choose what to buy when you aren't sure what the features of the product even do :) :)

Quote:

For the gmail settings, I am pretty sure you can use the automatic detection.
This worked just great!

BenC 01-19-2009 02:55 AM

Yahoo is a bit flaky on their email. I have my Yahoo! IMAP account set up on my device and once in a while Yahoo! lets me connect, other times not at all. Must be a Yahoo! thing.

ramiss 01-19-2009 05:27 AM

Basically POP3 will download all of the emails and remove them from the server. IMAP, on the other hand, will sync them. Which means they will be left on the server so you can also check them from another device/computer/browser etc.

IMAP also supports multiple folders and IMAP IDLE (similar to push email) and various other features. Whereas POP3 does not do any of this.