PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Live Search "Locate Me" feature disabled? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53471)

ZaijiaN 01-16-2009 12:11 PM

Live Search "Locate Me" feature disabled?

I have the Sprint Touch Pro, and the "Locate Me" feature isn't available in the main app, and in the settings, the checkbox is disabled - is this true for all Sprint TPs?

To be very clear, what I am asking about is the "Locate Me" feature of the newest Live Search release, which uses cell-towers to guesstimate your approximate position.

HBOOT 01-16-2009 12:17 PM

Re: Live Search "Locate Me" feature disabled?

how long have you had that, can you update your version?and no it wasnt disabled

nuuuuts 01-16-2009 01:24 PM

i just checked my phone too, at first the option wasn't there and found out that there was an update under settings. Installed the new update and the Locate Me option is greyed out.

Region:United States
GPS: GPS Intermediate Driver

I tried changing the driver but the option to locate me doesn't change.

hbenz2008 do you have a different settings?

I'm running on the stock rom

BigDiesel07 01-16-2009 01:33 PM

What version of Live Search are you using? Are you using version 4?

tech 01-16-2009 01:38 PM

i have that version i have to click on gps then location to work

HBOOT 01-16-2009 01:44 PM

version 4.0
GPS Com4
HIT MAP AND CLICK Track me using GPS
Locate me is greyed out but feature still works
Make sure that yu cache to your storage card

nuuuuts 01-16-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 644767)
What version of Live Search are you using? Are you using version 4?

using version 4.0.12158.1

I noticed that when I go to maps, there is a new option to "track me using gps" If I set it to track me, it hasn't picked up my position yet. It could be due to the building that I'm in blocking the signal. Will try it during lunch. Get outside and see if that option turns on.

BigDiesel07 01-16-2009 01:51 PM

I bet its just the building.. Although the new version is supposed to be able to triangulate your position with cell towers...

nico4k 01-16-2009 01:53 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i know, these "locate me" features (much like the google "my location") work using the cell towers, but for some reason Windows mobile devices on CDMA networks dont see or are able to see the tower info. If you are on a GSM network, then you wont have a problem using this "locate me" feature. I think the combination of CDMA and Windows Mobile makes it NOT possible for tower triangular location.

What's even more funny though, is that the "my location" works just fine on CDMA Blackberry. That i cant understand why BB and not WM...
I was hoping for this since the Apache phone came out (no GPS chip there).
hope that helps a bit...

ZaijiaN 01-16-2009 02:00 PM

Likewise, i'm using the latest version of live search, and GPS works fine, but the cell-tower GPS does not. I am also caching to the storage card.

So, is there anybody out there with a Sprint CDMA WM phone that DOES have aGPS working?