PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Website to consolidate icons, tweaks, mods, etc. Assistance needed.

Okay, I've brought this up elsewhere, and I guess it's time to create a new thread and get this going. I've seen so many different threads with different tweaks, top icons, TF3D icons, Windows themes, Manilla themes, etc... and I also notice some people try to combine them into one post (which is very difficult, and still results in the addition of other posts/threads).

Anyways, something I've been wanting to see done for a long time is to be able to go to a webpage, pick and choose with pictures what we want on our phone, and download and install them. Rather than having people search to find several thread results, they can just go to one website, and view up to date info.

First example I will use is the top icons for the Touch Pro. I see several threads (3 of which I personally noticed to be predominately popular - http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49827, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=437307, and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=437420). These threads are very long (one of which with 1,800+ posts). What I would like to do is have people who create icons submit their icons to this website (I don't have a name for it yet), and people can go there to see & download their work. All original work will be credited appropriately, and can also have a "donate" button as such. People can still post their work on the forums, but they can say it's been submitted to "the website", and people can visit "the website" to download.

What I've noticed is some people on the iPhone community have such things as Installer Apps, which is a compilation of various applications ready to be downloaded and installed to the device. This includes games, apps, icons, etc...

What I would like to ask is for some assistance from willing volunteers (you don't have to commit your time, but any help is appreciated). Maybe suggest ideas of what can be incorporated, gather information to be added to the site, etc... I do have a full time job, and I will be doing this on my own personal time as a way to give back to the community I've been a part of for 2 years.

I have some basic HTML skills, and I'm pretty computer savvy, but any help is appreciated. With that, I'll open this thread to any inspirational ideas and discussion.

Thanks, and let's make this a better community for everyone!

Last edited by WhiteBlazer01; 01-14-2009 at 08:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Website to consolidate icons, tweaks, mods, etc. Assistance needed.

sounds like a great plan esp for newbies like me lol would have made my life a lot easier BUT!! going through all those threads help you to learn a lot more and troubleshoot the smallest problems
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

hmm that sounds like a REALLY great idea. But i think you're swimming upstream on this one pal!

What we need is a community based system that can add and edit entries, something that we can't do on your standard forum because of posts.

So I had this little idea where instead of having a gang of threads come and go and get cluttered up and wait for the OP to clean up their post to add all new entries, to just run a wiki. Yah easy huh?

Check it out

http://ppc-repository.wikispaces.com

I am literally adding only what I run which is a little selfish of me i know, but why throw stuff up i know nothing of? Sign up, log on and add to it!

GL

BTW you don't want to do anything html or otherwise based because the time it'll take you to create content if it isn't automated will pretty much suck the life out of the project. This is why i choose a wiki. i am actually searching for free wiki software i can run from my bsd server. THAT way i don't have to worry about what's posted, hosted and transferred.

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!

Last edited by GhettoBSD; 01-14-2009 at 08:59 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Threadstarter

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator03 View Post
sounds like a great plan esp for newbies like me lol would have made my life a lot easier BUT!! going through all those threads help you to learn a lot more and troubleshoot the smallest problems
Very true, I personally learned a lot by reading through countless threads. I'm thinking more along the lines of single location where one can browse different icons, tweaks, themes, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
hmm that sounds like a REALLY great idea. But i think you're swimming upstream on this one pal!

What we need is a community based system that can add and edit entries, something that we can't do on your standard forum because of posts.

So I had this little idea where instead of having a gang of threads come and go and get cluttered up and wait for the OP to clean up their post to add all new entries, to just run a wiki. Yah easy huh?

Check it out

http://ppc-repository.wikispaces.com

I am literally adding only what I run which is a little selfish of me i know, but why throw stuff up i know nothing of? Sign up, log on and add to it!

GL

BTW you don't want to do anything html or otherwise based because the time it'll take you to create content if it isn't automated will pretty much suck the life out of the project. This is why i choose a wiki. i am actually searching for free wiki software i can run from my bsd server. THAT way i don't have to worry about what's posted, hosted and transferred.
I looked through your page, and I think it is a wonderful idea. It would definitely be easier if information can be submitted by anyone signed up.

On a similar note, how would one submit files or images? One could technically link to the original forum post, but I think a link to the original forum post should be used as reference and discussion. I suppose one could direct link the download file, and post an image hosted elsewhere. Hmmm... I'm liking this idea more and more.

And I agree on the HTML comment. It would be far to time consuming.

EDIT: looking through your site further, how would one add their own content?

EDIT2: I like the way this website is setup for the themes (although I think it would be easier to view all the thumbnails in a row). http://www.thetouchblog.com/TF3D/main.html I would like to do something similar to this, but for themes, icons, etc....

Last edited by WhiteBlazer01; 01-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Socrates Philosophy

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

great you signed up, make a test page and check it out. if you're familiar with html in general you'll figure it out.

We can host files on there and pretty much do what you have in mind. If you have any issues let me know and i'll help you.

i'll bbl and will show you a demo of what i think you're asking about. I've just been too busy lately to really get it looking the way i want but it'll work!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 AM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Threadstarter

Thanks to GhettoBSD, I've been able to make additions to his WikiSpace. So far I've made additions to the Themes page. Let me know what everyone thinks. Any feedback is appreciated. Remember, I'm trying to make this very easy for someone to go to the website, and view all available information for their Touch pro (and Diamond). http://ppc-repository.wikispaces.com/TP+Themes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM
ALi
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Converted to Evo-ism
Carrier: Left VZW Moved to Sprint

ALi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularALi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularALi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularALi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularALi is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01 View Post
Thanks to GhettoBSD, I've been able to make additions to his WikiSpace. So far I've made additions to the Themes page. Let me know what everyone thinks. Any feedback is appreciated. Remember, I'm trying to make this very easy for someone to go to the website, and view all available information for their Touch pro (and Diamond). http://ppc-repository.wikispaces.com/TP+Themes
This is some good stuff. It appears that some of us have basically the same idea and that is to neatly consolidate these Themes, Icons and Taskbars. GhettoBSD has already taken it a step further with his repository site. I'm definetely supporting this one.

ALi
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

circuit breaker is a n00b

This is wonderful and if done right it could do two things... cut down on people asking repeatedly for things that can be searched out (I realize this is a grey area because not everyone is that good at boolean searching) and cut down on the amt of effort/time it takes to digest all the cool toys there are. It would also be good for the signal/noise ratio in here . I know the second is pretty important to me, I'm too busy working to keep up with it all.

What about a wiki setup by ppcgeeks rather than using an external service? While WikiSpaces' terms aren't that *bad* (http://www.wikispaces.com/terms#toc5), they could at some point contest the legality of some content we post/discuss.. so it might be safer to try to setup our own wiki.

Think about the options.. if we get the people that develop to follow a certain 'template' when posting a release, a bot could crawl the forum postings, parse it out, and auto-populate the wiki space with the release's content. That'd be cool..
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Socrates Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit breaker View Post
This is wonderful and if done right it could do two things... cut down on people asking repeatedly for things that can be searched out (I realize this is a grey area because not everyone is that good at boolean searching) and cut down on the amt of effort/time it takes to digest all the cool toys there are. It would also be good for the signal/noise ratio in here . I know the second is pretty important to me, I'm too busy working to keep up with it all.

What about a wiki setup by ppcgeeks rather than using an external service? While WikiSpaces' terms aren't that *bad* (http://www.wikispaces.com/terms#toc5), they could at some point contest the legality of some content we post/discuss.. so it might be safer to try to setup our own wiki.

Think about the options.. if we get the people that develop to follow a certain 'template' when posting a release, a bot could crawl the forum postings, parse it out, and auto-populate the wiki space with the release's content. That'd be cool..
I am all for having ppcg hosting it. when they do let me know!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro