PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Help, Please (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52661)

golfdog352 01-10-2009 07:22 PM

Help, Please

OK, I'm an Idiot. Now that's out of the way.
I need a step by step process to get a downloaded cab to my TP. Believe it or not, I have done this before on my first TP. I found it somewhere in this forum and installed the volume fix cab file. Now I want to install the weather cab that has all the cities and a game and I'm lost. Before you tell me to search, I have. I have read hundreds of pages over the last few days, my mind is mush. My wife will find me in a corner in the fetal position mumbling something about buying a phone smarter than myself.
This is my first smart phone and I really do love it. I'm jut not real computer savvy and am afraid to mess up the phone.
If I could find one of you smart people near Rochester, I would just give you the phone and have you install the stuff I want.
So if there is anyone out there willing to give me step by step instructions for installing the cab files I listed above and how to change the icons at the top of the screen, I would greatly APPRECIATE it.
Thanks for listening and please take it easy on me, I'm in a fragile state of mind.

HBOOT 01-10-2009 07:30 PM

Re: Help, Please

Dude, no worries . Just copy the cab to your TP via usb cable. What operating system do you have in your pc or labtop? is your email set up on your TP coz u can email the cab to your self and grab if from your email. Once the cab is in your TP, you open file explorer, locate the cab, double click it, follow the prompt to save to your TP memory, soft reset and u done

Geekcop 01-10-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfdog352 (Post 631707)
OK, I'm an Idiot. Now that's out of the way.

Well, admitting you have a problem is the first step towards solving it....:mrgreen:

Cab installation is pretty simple. There are 2 ways you can do it. Either by means of AS/WMDC or put the cab onto your device, either via BlueTooth or by using your SD card. If you use the AS/WMDC method, simply connect your device via cable, and run the cab. It will install on your phone. If going the direct install route, just simply run the cab from your phone. I'm assuming this is what you're looking for and not where to find the cabs you referenced?

henbone11 01-10-2009 07:34 PM

If you are simply wondering how to install a cab file, just sync your phone to your computer. Move the cab file to your storage card in the phone. Open File Explorer on your phone and tap the cab file. Select the install location (device or storage card) then soft reset if prompted to.

To change the taskbar icons at the top of the screen you have to install 3 files. sdkcerts.cab, whatever taskbar cab you choose, and nuepowerdriver cab. Find the changing taskbar icons thread here and read it. Step by step instructions are there.

Here is the taskbar thread. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49827

dtndvm 01-10-2009 07:40 PM

Man, you guys are quick. I typed a response and decided to check if anyone beat me to it...3 responses! That's what I like about this community, a genuine desire to help people.

esqueue 01-10-2009 07:46 PM

I'm starting to see too many posts where people say, "I know that this is a stupid question but...." "I'm an idiot, I need help".

No need to be afraid to ask for help, that is the purpose of this forum.

The easiest way to get a cab to your phone is to connect your phone to your computer via usb cable. A screen will pop up on your phone and select disk drive or something like that.

A new drive will appear on your computer where you can transfer the cab to.

To install the cab, disconnect the usb cable to that your phone can have access to the sc card. Use a file explorer on your pda to locate the cab file and click it.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, that bastard henbone11 got it.

ramiss 01-11-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 631735)
I'm starting to see too many posts where people say, "I know that this is a stupid question but...." "I'm an idiot, I need help".

No need to be afraid to ask for help, that is the purpose of this forum.

I agree with this. My only complaint is that the Thread Titles are meaningless for some of these types of posts.