PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 72-hour (3-day) between charge TP (and how I did it).

It has taken me some time to get the TP exactly as I like it. For the past couple of weeks, I noticed good battery life since all the tweaks are in. I decided to start keeping track and use the phone as little as I can to see how far I can stretch it. To my surprise, I was able to go 72 hours twice in a row (so far) between charges.

I also carry a Diamond with almost exactly the same configuration/installed apps, and talk on the phone about one hour and half each day, and send/receive about 300 SMS per day under poor coverage conditions, and about 10 minutes of data. At the end of each 24-hour period, I have ~15-20% remaining.

Important:
I am simply sharing my configuration, experience, and observed data. There are those who have claimed that disabling g-sensor does not help battery life. I do not wish to debate either way. I did it initially to disable the sensor because I don't require its utility. It was shortly thereafter that I noticed an improvement in battery life. My theory is that each time the OS "sees" that the phone has moved, CPU is require to process the data. The same goes for the error reporting and polling. I don't know if they make a difference. It's simply how I chose to configure my system. Your mileage may vary. If it helps you, great! If you don't like it, feel free to move on.

-->> If there is enough interest, I will cab up the tweaks I've made and post it here <<---

So here it is, all the information that I can think of that matter.

General:
-Manufacturing date: 10-December-2008
-Stock ROM
-Not running TF3D
-Auto backlight
-Power off after 1 minute
-BT ON all the time
-WiFi OFF all the time
-Slot Cycle Index changed to 1 (from 2) to deal w/ no ring at home due to poor coverage (know your MSL, ##DATA# to change). This seems to hurt battery very little.

Charging & battery:
OE batteries, broken in. Seidio external charger. Battery shows 99-100% at first boot.

Phone Radio:
v1.04.05V
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=46616

Apps (I have ~30 apps installed, this is only a small list):
SPB Phones suite
Magicall
SPB Pocket Plus
Homescreen ++
S2U2 1.37
PocketClock w/ daily morning wake up alarm that repeats

Coverage:
-Work, excellent & excellent EVDO coverage (I spend ~8 hours @ work each day)

-Home, terrible and poor EVDO coverage. The phone screen often turns on while it bounces between 1x and DO.
Usage in the past six days (2 charge cycles):

-Cycle 1, 42 minutes of phone call at work, received 29 SMS; sent 11, ~20 mintues of data. Several minutes of playing with the phone and camera flash, shining in people's eyes. Battery remaining at 72 hours: 11%

-Cycle 2, 33 minutes of phone call at work, received 35 sms, sent 15, ~20 minutes of data. Several minutes of playing with the phone and camera flash, shining in people's eyes. Battery remaining at 72 hours: 16%

Tweaks (power related):

Common:

-All of the power management enabled with this tool, even though some don't apply to my HTC CDMA phone):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=418151
(SD Memory, MMC, NAND, SIM, AsyncMAC, PPTP, L2TP)

-Battery polling
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39966

My tweaks (uncommon):
-Disabled G-sensor/accelerometer
HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/GSensor/Dll=1Gsensor.dll (the "1" simply keeps the driver from loading and therefore rendering the OS unable to use the sensor to rotate the screen or detect/process the phone's movement

-Increased error polling time:
HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/ErrorReporting/PollInterval=1800000 (I simply added a "0" to 10x this value).

-Disabled the following using Memmaid:
Startup Services disabled: SqmUpload (research suggest that this is for Windows Error Reporting upload), QuickGPS, PocketPlus (don't need the services), SpbKbd (because I do not want SPB Keyboard to load automatically).

Cheers.

----

Edit 1: These are Sprint devices. I just ordered a Verizon TP to see the difference and have something else to play with.

Last edited by snovvman; 01-09-2009 at 12:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

themystx2 is just getting started
Re: My 72-hour (3-day) between charge TP (and how I did it).

Meh, i have 6-bar EVDO coverage at work my battery is still done after 7 hours. Spend 10 bucks, buy a cheap battery off eBay, and use the phone as you like.

Current:
Sprint HTC Touch Pro (I don't even know what ROM I have on there anymore!)
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
Important:
I am simply sharing my configuration, experience, and observed data. <snip> It's simply how I chose to configure my system. Your mileage may vary. If it helps you, great! If you don't like it, feel free to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themystx2 View Post
Meh, i have 6-bar EVDO coverage at work my battery is still done after 7 hours. Spend 10 bucks, buy a cheap battery off eBay, and use the phone as you like.
I have six OE batteries and four Seidio 1500 mAh batteries, along with four external chargers, all to support my Diamond and TP at home and work. I don't care to by cheap batteries off eBay. As I clearly indicated, these are simply my experiments and observations. Even with heavy use, I find that my TP outperforms the stock configuration.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

snovman, first thanx for taking you time to do all this and share you setup. i love threads like these to see what others are doing and the pure results. im getting better life also with s2u2 1.40 than 1.37, just a thought, thanx again for the thread.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
snovman, first thanx for taking you time to do all this and share you setup. i love threads like these to see what others are doing and the pure results. im getting better life also with s2u2 1.40 than 1.37, just a thought, thanx again for the thread.
Thanks Darren. I was holding off on 1.40 because it was a drastic change from 1.37. I figure I would wait for 1.4x when some of the bugs are identified and fixed.

With 1.37, I find that the devices goes to "sleep" about 1 minute 15 seconds after I push the "off" button. I observe this using the nuePowerCPL's "device on" time:
http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/page/nuePower.aspx

I would navigate to Settings/System/neuPowerCPL, observe the currnet "on time", shut off the device, wait several minutes, turn back on, and see how much time progressed. This is a great tool to see if the device is still running after you shut it off.

If you have nuePowerCPL installed, I'm curious to know if the device stays on for one minute or so after you turn it off.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM
CyanogenMod
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S IV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to LilRico Send a message via MSN to LilRico

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
Very much the same results I have also. I don't know what S2U2 ver. 1.37 was doing when the phone was off over night, but I would wake up and it would be at 82%. With ver. 1.40 this morning I woke up and it was at 94%. So G-Alarm and S2U2 are working great now, so I hope to repeat this again tonight. I don't want to count on the power driver as a accurate results, so I'm watching to see what the next three days bring and I'll report back with the average.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work

This is very interesting. I could never get away with that little use in my daily life, but it is interesting to see all the tweaks laid out so simply, so I will have to try them and see what I can get out of it. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 AM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep

telus radio might be the key. for sprint user's we dont' have any better radio

Sprint Fair and Flex 500mins - unlimited; text, data, N&W@6pm (perks) - Sprint Pick 3, Unl Incoming Mins
ROMS: Vin. Pluto. (M2.5), Mighty (M2.5), Energy (M2.5)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe90kid View Post
telus radio might be the key. for sprint user's we dont' have any better radio
Sprint users can use Telus radio with no problem.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro