PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
internet through usb?

Is there a way to give my phone access to data services using the internet connection on my computer? So for instance, if I'm at work and have no service, I'd like to plug in the usb cord and make and receive text messages...

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive
Re: internet through usb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
Is there a way to give my phone access to data services using the internet connection on my computer? So for instance, if I'm at work and have no service, I'd like to plug in the usb cord and make and receive text messages...
Text Messages don't technically use your data connection so what you're asking can't be done.

You can connect it so you can browse the Internet, etc. I don't believe you'll be able to use any of Sprint's premium services (ie SprintTV) because it requires your actual data connection.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
Text Messages don't technically use your data connection so what you're asking can't be done.

You can connect it so you can browse the Internet, etc. I don't believe you'll be able to use any of Sprint's premium services (ie SprintTV) because it requires your actual data connection.
how do i connect it so i can browse the internet?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
The GrooGrux King

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
There's an option when you setup your AS connection that asks if you want to allow data wireless communications while you're connected. I believe you leave that unchecked.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
The host computer needs to have ActiveSync installed. I don't know exactly what it is in XP, but I'm using Windows Mobile Device Center, on windows 7... I'm going to assume it's the same thing.

It's an option that is enabled by default under the phone's Connection Settings in ActiveSync.

Edit: Forgot to put an arrow, it's the bottom-most check box.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The GrooGrux King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
The host computer needs to have ActiveSync installed. I don't know exactly what it is in XP, but I'm using Windows Mobile Device Center, on windows 7... I'm going to assume it's the same thing.

It's an option that is enabled by default under the phone's Connection Settings in ActiveSync.

Edit: Forgot to put an arrow, it's the bottom-most check box.
Right...that needs to be unchecked, right? The verbiage doesn't sound right in the display box, but it at least sounds like it needs to be unchecked...

When I think "data connection" I think of my cellular data connection and not my PC data connection.

EDIT: with Vista, I needed it unchecked.

Last edited by MadlyAlive; 01-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
Right...that needs to be unchecked, right? The verbiage doesn't sound right in the display box, but it at least sounds like it needs to be unchecked...

When I think "data connection" I think of my cellular data connection and not my PC data connection.

EDIT: with Vista, I needed it unchecked.
While I have it checked, I notice the phone does use the PC's connection... but not every time. I've got wifi available, and a bunch of other options, so to be honest, I've never tried.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

commonplace is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to commonplace Send a message via AIM to commonplace Send a message via Yahoo to commonplace

In XP, using ActiveSync 4.5, the equivalent chequebox is "Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop". So, it's been re-worded slightly in Vista, but it's the same thing.

However, it didn't work for me. My box was already unchecked, but I'm unable to connect to the Internet on my phone when hooked up to the USB cable. What else could be wrong?

/Kevin

EDIT: I fiddled with it some more and got it to work! My drop-down box that says "This computer is connected to" was set to "Automatic" (as in the Windows Mobile Device Centre screenshot from post #5), but that wasn't working. I changed it to "Work Network", and it still didn't work. But when I changed it to "The Internet", it worked! It still syncs with Outlook, but it also syncs with Nuevasync now, and I can surf the Internet, etc. on my phone through the USB cable.

Last edited by commonplace; 01-09-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Resolved
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro