PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Spring

Addicted23 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seidio Case Affects Battery Life?

I bought the black rubberized Seidio case. I have had it on for one day only but today my phone decided to go into "super drain" mode. I have made one 20 minute phone call and sent 4 text messages and the phone went from fully charged at 10AM to 2 bars at 6PM!! No program are running in the background.

Is there any chance the heat from the phone gets trapped in the device by the case which affects the battery life in some way?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: Seidio Case Affects Battery Life?

2 bars as in 20% or 2 bars as in <70%?

the problem with WM phones and battery drain is more service related than programs. the phone spends so much time polling towers, finding best non-roam service, switching data-voice that whenever it needs to call out, it turns on the screen. whenever it looses signal, it turns on the screen to let you know its searching. all these popups in WM wake up the phone, and along side with the overworked radio, they kill the battery.

i bet you, if you left your phone on flight mode and left it on standby, it would last a week (im not exaggerating, my touch lasted that long, if not longer with the stock battery)

going back to your problem. maybe where you were, you may have had spotty reception therefore waking the phone from standby to alert you its looking for a signal. or the case you have on your phone choked out the antenna

ps: i know this because ive experienced this first hand. i used to bring my sprint touch to work, where verizon's signal is superior, and my touch actually flips out whenever it finds a weak sprint signal and attempts to hang onto it with death-grip effort. the result? my phone will last 4 hours at work unless i put it on flight mode (this has actually locked up my phone to a useless crawl a few times, even where sprint offers full native coverage. no way to fix it other than a hard reset)
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted23 View Post
I bought the black rubberized Seidio case. I have had it on for one day only but today my phone decided to go into "super drain" mode. I have made one 20 minute phone call and sent 4 text messages and the phone went from fully charged at 10AM to 2 bars at 6PM!! No program are running in the background.

Is there any chance the heat from the phone gets trapped in the device by the case which affects the battery life in some way?
Just a shot in the dark ... where are you located?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Addicted23 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleki View Post

going back to your problem. maybe where you were, you may have had spotty reception therefore waking the phone from standby to alert you its looking for a signal. or the case you have on your phone choked out the antenna
Depending on where I have the phone in my house, I always get between 2 and 5 bars. I'll sometimes go to 1 bar but only once in a blue moon does it search for a signal. I kept the phone exactly where I kept it every other day so far.

As a comparison, I am on a sprint family plan and I bought 2 Samsung Rants for the other lines. They are on day #4 without charging the battery and talk time has been fairly equivalent on each phone.

Ugggghhh! I am on Day 20 with the phone and up until yesterday I was going to keep it but this is really testing my patience. I'm not a heavy user so I decided to live with the bad battery life but today was just ridiculous. I have little confidence the phone will hold up over a 2 year contract. I mean, this is just Day 20 and I've already had to deal with a handful of other problems........
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Addicted23 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Just a shot in the dark ... where are you located?
Chicago. Nice signal.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Oh hmm. Weird. In the past 2 days, I suddenly have my phone blowing past 3 battery bars to 2 battery bars in less than 30 minutes. So it'll be full, then within a half hour, be at 2 bars. I'm thinking it might be time to do the full drain thing, so I'm working on that for now.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

LeoKnightas is becoming a great contributor

Try an signal booster (http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?p...=3761&cat=3761) they really do work. Here a link that proves it. http://home.pacbell.net/mtom168/antenna/
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Addicted23 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Oh hmm. Weird. In the past 2 days, I suddenly have my phone blowing past 3 battery bars to 2 battery bars in less than 30 minutes. So it'll be full, then within a half hour, be at 2 bars. I'm thinking it might be time to do the full drain thing, so I'm working on that for now.
I'm doing the same. It didn't take long to go from 2 bars to dead battery. Good luck to us both.

This is about Day 20 for the phone. I've charged it at least 20 times and did a full drain at least 3-4 times. I haven't pushed the phone or installed any crazy programs.... only google maps and total commander.

Oh well, sorry for whining. I'm guessing it can't be the case but thought it was a weird coincidence that it happened the exact day I put on that case on day 20 when the first 19 days had a normal drain (fast, but normal for touch pro from what i read).
Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKnightas View Post
Try an signal booster (http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=3761&cat=3761) they really do work. Here a link that proves it. http://home.pacbell.net/mtom168/antenna/
hate to tell you, but thats just a site set up by someone who sells these trying to pass off as a legit review. i got a signal booster along with a ebay car charger some time ago and its nothing more than the placebo effect if you really think it works. wish it werent though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted23 View Post
Depending on where I have the phone in my house, I always get between 2 and 5 bars. I'll sometimes go to 1 bar but only once in a blue moon does it search for a signal. I kept the phone exactly where I kept it every other day so far.

As a comparison, I am on a sprint family plan and I bought 2 Samsung Rants for the other lines. They are on day #4 without charging the battery and talk time has been fairly equivalent on each phone.

Ugggghhh! I am on Day 20 with the phone and up until yesterday I was going to keep it but this is really testing my patience. I'm not a heavy user so I decided to live with the bad battery life but today was just ridiculous. I have little confidence the phone will hold up over a 2 year contract. I mean, this is just Day 20 and I've already had to deal with a handful of other problems........
different phones handle service differently. the only phone that seems immune to my work is the palm centro. while it will tear through the battery a little quicker while at the work site, the phone will still make it two full work days before i have to charge it

i know there are ways to reduce the frequency the phone polls towers, ive done it on the touch, but as for finding the registry that handles radio notifications that wake up the phone from standby, i havent seen a workaround yet
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Lurker

laxlakerfan is a n00b

i have the rubber sedio case and havent noticed any change in battery life when i didnt have the case...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro