PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

ineloquucius is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Device gets stuck in dimmed backlight mode, AC or DC

I'm sitting here watching my phone hang out in a dimmed backlight mode. It's been this way for several minutes, and occasionally it bounces back up to full brightness (i.e. as configured for given power mode), but seemingly never into lights-out mode.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Last edited by ineloquucius; 01-06-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint

dole is becoming a great contributor
Re: Device gets stuck in dimmed backlight mode, AC or DC

If it's on the charger, there's different backlight timeouts for external power and battery power in the power settings...
Verizon: Motorola v325

"Make a u-turn, and then, continue"
Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ineloquucius is a n00b

To be sure. But this is simply bouncing back and forth between dim and full (configured) brightness. Every 30-60 seconds or so. And after reset, it doesn't do this ...well, not until it does.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineloquucius View Post
To be sure. But this is simply bouncing back and forth between dim and full (configured) brightness. Every 30-60 seconds or so. And after reset, it doesn't do this ...well, not until it does.
If it's on the charger you could always hit the power button to turn the screen off? I know sometimes my screen will come back on for whatever reason but I just hit the power button again.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ineloquucius is a n00b

The problem is that I'm often not there to turn it off. I'd like the phone to go black--lights out--as configured to do. 1 min for external power, 30 sec for battery.

I also just found another thread where others are having a similar problem. When plugged into a usb charger (or perhaps even an A/C - D/C charger as well), the light will dim but never go off (as opposed to bouncing back and forth from dim to bright every 30 secs or so). I have the same problem as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: sprint

biglee is just getting started

By chance, did it happen when you had the phone keys locked. I had this happen when it was locked the other day and the only way to get it back was to try everything to get it back. Finally, I just hit the soft reset.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff

Quote:
The problem is that I'm often not there to turn it off. I'd like the phone to go black--lights out--as configured to do. 1 min for external power, 30 sec for battery.

I also just found another thread where others are having a similar problem. When plugged into a usb charger (or perhaps even an A/C - D/C charger as well), the light will dim but never go off (as opposed to bouncing back and forth from dim to bright every 30 secs or so). I have the same problem as well.
Weird, I have the same exact settings and it works for me. I have the screen set to dim after 30 seconds and turn off completely after 1 min on battery power.

I just changed it to dim/turn off after 1 minute when on external power. Plugged my phone up to the charger and screen just dims but doesn't turn off. Strange...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ineloquucius is a n00b

I'll tell ya, I love gadgetry, but I really hate gadgetry that doesn't work. It seems that all too often things go to the shelves that just aren't ready. Hell, even my coffee grinder and toaster can't get it right.

Anyway, I'm not sure what locked keys are, exactly. Is it different from disabling all-but-power buttons when the device is supposed to be asleep?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
I'll tell ya, I love gadgetry, but I really hate gadgetry that doesn't work. It seems that all too often things go to the shelves that just aren't ready. Hell, even my coffee grinder and toaster can't get it right.

Anyway, I'm not sure what locked keys are, exactly. Is it different from disabling all-but-power buttons when the device is supposed to be asleep?
I hear you about the gadgets thing. But that is what cellphones in particular are all about. Generally, they are cheaply made and crap out before your 2 year contract is up, causing you to buy yet another phone. It's just one big inefficient cycle. Essentially the consumers are the "beta testers."

I believe he was referring to the lock behavior found under:

Start > Settings > System > Long Press End Key & Key Lock
Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Noob
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

I use s2u2 with the option enabled to automatically turn device back off. If my phone wakes up and is not unlocked within 8 seconds (user configurable), the device goes back to sleep.

I've also found the "don't wake up for SMS" registry settings don't work, my phone still wakes up.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro