PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

HotSauce is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to HotSauce
Disable Data Plan Features

Hey everyone. I just bought an HTC Touch Pro from Bell without a data plan, with the hopes that I would be able to use the Wi-Fi for internet instead. I want to be able to use the Wi-Fi to browse the internet, without having to pay for an expensive data plan. However, the data connection automatically turns on sometimes, and the SelfServe program has shown me that I have used some data already. I just want to pay for my phone services (minutes, texts, etc), and no additional charges. I've been using the internet browsers, the mail function, and the weather function.

My main question is, does anyone know how I can disable the data connection alltogether in order to avoid any additional charges?

And I'd also like to know which functions on the phone will result in the additional charges.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

FrozenIpaq is becoming a great contributor
Re: Disable Data Plan Features

There's an option in DiamondTweak under the Data area which allows you to enable or disable the Data Network Connection, this should stop it from using that connection. (DTweak:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=409540 )

I can't answer your second question though (I'm a VZW user)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 755p

brennj4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
Hey everyone. I just bought an HTC Touch Pro from Bell without a data plan, with the hopes that I would be able to use the Wi-Fi for internet instead. I want to be able to use the Wi-Fi to browse the internet, without having to pay for an expensive data plan. However, the data connection automatically turns on sometimes, and the SelfServe program has shown me that I have used some data already. I just want to pay for my phone services (minutes, texts, etc), and no additional charges. I've been using the internet browsers, the mail function, and the weather function.

My main question is, does anyone know how I can disable the data connection alltogether in order to avoid any additional charges?

And I'd also like to know which functions on the phone will result in the additional charges.

Thanks.
Back up the settings beforehand in case you need to go back!

This first part disables the cellular data connection

Click on start>settings>connections>connections>manage existing connections>right click (hold down) on the connection in that list and choose delete.

This funnels data traffic through the wifi
Then click OK to go back to the connections window. Click the advanced tab at the bottom. Click the SELECT NETWORKS button. Change all of these drop down boxes to "MY WORK NETWORK"

Cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 755p

brennj4 is a n00b

Quote:

Thanks.

If you do not have any data on your plan, then pretty much anything that is not talking on the phone would rack up data charges. This would include GPS(for maps), Live search, Weather, text messages, emails, over the air sync, browsing, picture mail. Anything that requires the phone to communicate with the world for some kind of data.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennj4 View Post
Back up the settings beforehand in case you need to go back!

This first part disables the cellular data connection

Click on start>settings>connections>connections>manage existing connections>right click (hold down) on the connection in that list and choose delete.

This funnels data traffic through the wifi
Then click OK to go back to the connections window. Click the advanced tab at the bottom. Click the SELECT NETWORKS button. Change all of these drop down boxes to "MY WORK NETWORK"

Cheers
Alright, I've just done these both. Under SELECT NETWORKS, the first drop down box was set to My CDMA Network. Hopefully this change will help reduce my data charges.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennj4 View Post
If you do not have any data on your plan, then pretty much anything that is not talking on the phone would rack up data charges. This would include GPS(for maps), Live search, Weather, text messages, emails, over the air sync, browsing, picture mail. Anything that requires the phone to communicate with the world for some kind of data.
But would any of these be avoidable by using Wi-Fi? Perhaps I should ask, can I even use internet browsers free of charge with Wi-Fi?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

FrozenIpaq is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
But would any of these be avoidable by using Wi-Fi? Perhaps I should ask, can I even use internet browsers free of charge with Wi-Fi?
Yes you can
Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

iRonMan360 is just getting started

Why don't you call your service provider and tell them to block the data usage on your phone. That way you don't have to worry about being charged for data usage.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenIpaq View Post
Yes you can
Well that's definitely good news. However, when I check with the SelfServe program, the data used under unbilled usage keeps rising. Under settings my data connection has been turned off, with Wi-Fi on, so I have no idea why this is so. I've assumed that anything I use with the data connection off, won't accumulate me any data charges, but maybe I've been wrong. I just thought that if my data connection settings are indeed off, then any programs that require it will use the Wi-Fi connection, and not accumulate any data usage, therefore not racking up any extra charges.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Lurker

groan is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRonMan360 View Post
Why don't you call your service provider and tell them to block the data usage on your phone. That way you don't have to worry about being charged for data usage.
This is what i did with my previous phone.
works like a charm and it goes on your account statign that they removed access. if it shows on you rbill you tell them to remove it and check the setting again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro