PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Battery: What I'd like to see (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51948)

tphone 01-05-2009 09:07 PM

Battery: What I'd like to see

Last year I bought my wife an Instinct. Not the phone I would choose for myself, but she loves it. I came with 2 batteries. Now the battery life on the instinct is not too bad, but they thought to include 2 batteries!
And, the good part, they included a little 'box' that has the same plug as the phone to charge the extra battery. So you could, if you needed to, carry the extra battery in your pocket protected in its' little charging box. And it's ready to go when you need it and can charge offline.
The charger is just a wall-wart with a special plug that is not usb ;(, but it fits both the phone and the battery box. Oh, and the box has a LED to tell you when it's fully charged.
Why didn't HTC do something thoughtful like this? I mean, they already knew there was an issue because they increased the battery size from the original specs.
If someone made this solution for the TP, I'd order it yesterday. (Hear that Seido?)

Just my 2 cents.

darren.wlsn1 01-05-2009 09:12 PM

Re: Battery: What I'd like to see

sssssshhhhhh, i hear the basement door opening.

gator352 01-05-2009 09:15 PM

I'm hearing some footsteps comming up the stairs

Baffles 01-05-2009 09:20 PM

I've never seen the point of two batteries. It is such a pain in the *** to swap out batteries all the time, and personally if I'm in a situation where extra batteries would come in handy, I'm usually with my car or at someones house, so its no huge deal to plug in.

kyle4269 01-05-2009 09:50 PM

I agree with Baffles here..Who wants to carry around two batteries. Thats just a pain in the a**.

dr g 01-05-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 620259)
I've never seen the point of two batteries. It is such a pain in the *** to swap out batteries all the time, and personally if I'm in a situation where extra batteries would come in handy, I'm usually with my car or at someones house, so its no huge deal to plug in.

I tend to agree, the only time I saw extra batteries useful was like on a plane or somesuch ... but a 2nd battery is indeed smaller than a car charger.

tphone 01-06-2009 02:15 AM

Well, I admit it seems easier to carry the required charger, or have it available at all times.
But, I found myself traveling in New York and needing to use sprint navigation often. Without a car charger, after about 2 hours, you're done. I have a car charger in my own car so it's not an issue at home. And, had I known that Sprint Nav was such a battery killer and that I needed it, I would have brought mine. But, an extra battery would have been nice at the time. And I DO like the idea of an extra one being supplied with a separate charging system that can be very portable, unlike a charging base for the phone that just happens to have an extra slot for your second battery.

ProDriver77 01-06-2009 05:25 AM

Considering I've already had an Instinct, I can give you a plain example, as this happened to me last night at work:

Full-time, I drive taxi and limo for a living. Part-time, I'm a Bail Enforcement Officer/Fugitive Recovery Agent.

Considering I've spent over 13 hours ON MY FEET, outside of a vehicle and away from a power source while searching all over a city to locate a fugitive, havnig a phone battery going dead at the wrong moment can be a VERY BAD THING!

But on to last night: My regular cab (a minivan) was supposed to be fixed today, however the wrong part was sent, which sent me using a spare car. The car I was using unfortunately did not have a working cigarette lighter outlet, which left me unable to charge my phone which was already down to 50% by that point.

So yeah, a spare battery would definitely come in handy, especially in a Windows Mobile Device (which aren't really known for running battery-life endurance marathons).

-ProDriver77