PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch PRO
Carrier: Alltel

I-ron-ic-HTC is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation May i have Programers Read this post Please

New to all this ... but since phones have come a long way.. and so have games.. i would like to ask a simple Question...

1. is it possible to put games such a " diablo 2 "Warcraft " starcraft, Simcity etc,older games that take less then 1000mb and place them on your PDA,smartphone , htc touch pro " cough cough"

2. basicly is it possible to take a game from CD and load it into a touch pro or any compatible device and .. Run it ? " windows Core system the same right ? PPC vr PC ?

3. i have access to basicly every design program in the industry.

i would like to learn how and also start my own thread on games i converted and posted ... " "the reason this is not in the GAME fourm"" is becase i need a dev to answer my question... is it possible ?
thank you for every one input on this matter ..

jayson
Blizzard GM
irvine Ca
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
Re: May i have Programers Read this post Please

The games would need to be rewritten/compiled for Windows Mobile. PC vs PPC uses different architectures, so you can't just run the same app on both platforms in most cases.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fildrigar is just getting started

Some older games have actually been ported over already. There is a great version of X-Com available, and it's freeware. There is a good version of Warlords 2 available, it isn't freeware, though. I'm sure there are several versions of Sim City, considering that the source code has been released. Same thing with Doom and Quake. Some searching really should find you some.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

FrozenIpaq is becoming a great contributor

Not possible without some major foot work and even then it's difficult. A developer managed to port over Warcraft II but that was the height of the ports I've seen. Most pocket pc's lack the graphical power to support the higher end games like Diablo or Diablo II so that is most likely not possible.

All in all - not possible from what I've seen and read
Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I-ron-ic-HTC is a n00b

OK thanks if .. anyone else comes up with any ideas and know how tips .. please feel free to post here .. along with links .. i am currently converting Org Diablo right now and then ,re converting them to a .jar format ....
Question does htc touch pro Support " Java and Brewing.. and if not is it possible to update the phone ... ?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

APOLAUF is just getting started

There are several hundred major obstacles to anything not involving a specific port. Architecture (PCs use CISC processors, PPCs use ARM-based RISC processors that are considerably less powerful per MHz and support a significantly smaller instruction set), memory management, interrupt mapping, display interfaces (there is a mobile version of Direct3D, but it's not equivalent in any way to the full versions of DirectX which run on PC video cards), though from what I remember, the games you mention are older DOS games, so D3D shouldn't be an issue.

However, the biggest problem of all is going to be the operating system. WM simply doesn't have the necessary extensibility required to run those games, even if you were to run an emulator on it. The emulator itself would run so ungodly slow that it'd be hardly worth playing. Keep in mind that these devices can barely muster the goods to run an ancient 16-bit SNES emulator specifically written for WM5+ devices. You can forget trying to run any 32-bit instruction emulation.

So, without an actual port (requires more than just a recompile), it's simply not possible.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I-ron-ic-HTC is a n00b

============ thanks and with that this thread is closed =============
Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Please stop double posting.

Thanks,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro