PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

warrenmrogers is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New to Windows Mobile

Hi. I'm new here, but I've been researching the forums for a week or so now in anticipation of my Touch Pro. Well, I finally got it and I'm still trying to learn how to modify my system.

--- I would like to have the most dumbed down instructions on how to add applications to my pro and advice on which programs to use for which functions ----------

I thought I'd get that out there for those uninterested in my explanation. I downloaded a program called Total Commander based on suggestions I found throughout the forums. I really have no idea where to find some of the things that are being discussed in the forums. For example, I downloaded the .cab file that makes my speaker louder but I can't seem to make it work.

I also added NES and SNES emulators, mostly for bragging rights, but I can't seem to get any of the roms to load in the emulators. The emu's load fine, just can't open any roms.

I also downloaded some program to help me find my MSL without having to call customer service, and it won't work either. Not sure if I installed it incorrectly or if my phone might be defective (probably me, but gotta have that possibility on the table). I DID do a soft reset after installs. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: New to Windows Mobile

Welcome to the jungle. Firstly I'm gonna move this to the Touch Pro forum. Secondly, while we can all give you some adivce, etc., you're best bet is to keep reading through the forums. There really isn't any shortcut to spending the weekend pouring through this forum.

late,
Coz
Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

warrenmrogers is a n00b

fair enough, i'll keep reading! Any suggestions for newcomer basic search lines?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I would start off in this thread first
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42584
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Almost a VIP

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff

and welcome to PPCGeeks, a crap load of information in here for you to read Just a warning, once you start flashing ROM's, etc you'll soon be addicted.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

cforster is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenmrogers View Post
fair enough, i'll keep reading! Any suggestions for newcomer basic search lines?
Honestly the search feature here is lacking.

Start here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

And here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=43266

Never forget to unlock before flashing custom rom
Here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42503

Read, Read, and Read......it gets confusing at first. Feel free to pm me if you have questions after you do some research, I'll help any way I can.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click
Old 12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

pdoc01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdoc01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdoc01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdoc01 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I agree with Coz, but also, if you are new to this, take it easy. Crawl then walk. Start off with installing simple cabs, then go to manipulating files and so on. Don't jump right to editing manilas and flashing ROMs. Take your time read, search, and my biggest piece of advice is BACKUP YOUR PHONE! That way you can always get back to where you were before you make changes. Now since your phone is new you can just hard reset, but when you have a bunch of programs and your phone is just how you like it, it will be a pain. Oh yeah, don't be afraid to ask questions here, most of the people here are more than willing to help out. Welcome and good luck!

If you found this useful, hit the "Thanks" button.

Last edited by pdoc01; 12-31-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I will add DON'T worry about flashing your phone till you have had it for at least a month. you need to take the time to work with the phone and learn to use windows mobile before starting to deal with things that the rom cooks out here throw in.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

first thing to remember: Water + phone = bad.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

warrenmrogers is a n00b

The only problem I'm really having now is that I can't figure out where to open the HKEY directories I need to edit for everything, as seen in this walkthrough:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41770

Any quick advice there? Thanks for all those links!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro