PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP screen wouldn't turn off with power button... kept getting strange black screen

I had a weird instance happen on one of my pros a little bit ago. I hope I'll be able to explain this well enough for someone to recognize it (i'm pretty tired).
I was charging my pro... i disconnected it from the usb, then went to turn the display off via power button and my screen turned black. Not off, but black. Even in this black mode, you could see fuzzy lines so it was obviously acting strangely (picture an old tv on an input channel not being used. Youd be able to tell the tv was still on...). The phone still functioned, i just couldn't turn the display off at all no matter how many times i pressed power on/off (I'd only get the strange fuzzy black screen). A soft reset fixed this right away... I just think it's weird that it would still acknowledge my power button presses by turning to that black screen... why couldn't it just turn off if it was acknowledging what i wanted?

Has anybody ever had this happen on any of their phones, present or past? I'm thinking this is just an isolated incident, but i'd like to know how rare of an occurance it actually is...
i'd hate to think i'm the only one that this has happened to.

Last edited by orlandojumpoff; 12-31-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: Sprint

mCastJR is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to mCastJR
Re: TP screen wouldn't turn off with power button... kept getting strange black scree

i had the same problem, i had a thread up and the guys here said sounds like i have a bad phone. first my screen went black like that, then it lagged up, and i started to get the charging ring randomly.

sprint techs said it sounds like theres a loose connection in my phone, but they didnt work on it.

Rest in Peace:
Motorola Q
Pocket PC 6700
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff
Re: TP screen wouldn't turn off with power button... kept getting strange black scree

well that's not good... i have a week or so left to return it and i'm wondering if i should... everything works fine, just that strange incident of the screen not turning off completely
Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Mogulroonie is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
well that's not good... i have a week or so left to return it and i'm wondering if i should... everything works fine, just that strange incident of the screen not turning off completely
RETURN IT! Problem won't go away, had the same issue. I just got a new TP from Sprint, and I was well out of my 30 days.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulroonie View Post
RETURN IT! Problem won't go away, had the same issue. I just got a new TP from Sprint, and I was well out of my 30 days.
hmm well the problem went away and i havent been able to recreate the same black screen ever since i soft reset my phone. For you, would it randomly happen or was it like a permanant thing (after soft resets even)?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff View Post
hmm well the problem went away and i havent been able to recreate the same black screen ever since i soft reset my phone. For you, would it randomly happen or was it like a permanant thing (after soft resets even)?
Random, and at times... seemed permanant. Happened for a week straight, til I couldn't take it anymore. I hard reset twice too! Maybe you're lucky.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Yeah, this happens every now and then. i don't mind as it doesn't seem to affect anything.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
Yeah, this happens every now and then. i don't mind as it doesn't seem to affect anything.
I would call a blank screen on boot, and in OS, affecting!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
yeah it didn't freeze the phone or anything i just couldn't turn it off that one time.. kept toggling between regular screen and weird black screen when i pressed power. been great since a soft reset and no other problems. I have 2 weeks left before my 30 days are up, so i'll have to see if it happens again. If not, it could easily be an isolated incident.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800

mCastJR is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to mCastJR

Mogulroonie did you have to pay the 50 for the replacement?

i mean, im well out of the 30 day biz too, and this isnt an error caused by me on my phone, paying that 50 is bull to me man. especially when it's really HTC's fault for making busted phones.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro