PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Google Maps AGPS (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51011)

rpmccormick 12-29-2008 05:23 PM

Google Maps AGPS

Is there anyway to get "location" in google maps working (without turning on GPS)?

I ask because enabling GPS kills battery and takes a good minute to find sats. A working AGPS should be instant without killing battery, just very inaccurate (1/2 mile radius circle instead of pin-point 10m radius)

Does our AGPS work at all?

izuzu 12-29-2008 05:29 PM

Re: Google Maps AGPS

From reports we should keep our AGPS off because it is causing more of a delay to find sats. Try it it, i shut mine off and it's catching sat's in seconds.

scrosler 12-29-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmccormick (Post 606635)
Is there anyway to get "location" in google maps working (without turning on GPS)?

I ask because enabling GPS kills battery and takes a good minute to find sats. A working AGPS should be instant without killing battery, just very inaccurate (1/2 mile radius circle instead of pin-point 10m radius)

Does our AGPS work at all?

Could you please lable your post by what carrier you are reffering to? This would also not really be considered an upgrade or ROM issue. This should be posted in another forum.

But to answer your question, unless you specifically ENABLE aGPS its off. You cannot have aGPS alone. I dont beleive that can be done. But thats what I think. I will ask lllboredlll to take a look and get his opinion, GC 14 would be a good source of info on this as well.

Maybe they will chime in.....

rpmccormick 12-29-2008 06:38 PM

Sorry I put this in upgrades, I meant to post in the TP root.

Before I got the TP I tried out the G1 on TMo. It's google maps allowed you to get an idea of location (within a large circle) without enabling the GPS. Once you enabled the GPS, it was much more accurate.

Our Google Maps app has a location button, but if you click it without enabling GPS it says it is currently unavailable. In the older version of Google Maps, clicking the location button without first enabling the GPS said something like "Location is not supported on your device". Basically, the location button is designed to somehow figure out aproximate location without using the real GPS reciever, but it doesn't work with the TP. I was just wondering if it was possible to make it work.

scrosler 12-29-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmccormick (Post 606760)
Sorry I put this in upgrades, I meant to post in the TP root.

Before I got the TP I tried out the G1 on TMo. It's google maps allowed you to get an idea of location (within a large circle) without enabling the GPS. Once you enabled the GPS, it was much more accurate.

Our Google Maps app has a location button, but if you click it without enabling GPS it says it is currently unavailable. In the older version of Google Maps, clicking the location button without first enabling the GPS said something like "Location is not supported on your device". Basically, the location button is designed to somehow figure out aproximate location without using the real GPS reciever, but it doesn't work with the TP. I was just wondering if it was possible to make it work.

Wow, I never knew that. Hmmmm..... THis is still a good question for GC or Bored. I think either of them could answer it.

elr0y 12-29-2008 07:27 PM

I read a while back that it has to do with how easy it is/or if Google Maps can access your cell tower locator chip (I totally made that HW up).

Basically, on my old Treo 700p, it was extremely difficult for the maps application to get to the hardware it needed to create that circle.

On my wife's Blackberry Pearl (older model), the maps application can access the correct hardware and therefore creates that circle.

So, if google didn't write the maps software specifically for the TP hardware, it could just be a software issue of not finding the right hardware to find the cell signal.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully, that helps a bit. I don't know about whether the TP can get the circle and have the GPS turned off.

twolane 12-29-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elr0y (Post 606827)
I read a while back that it has to do with how easy it is/or if Google Maps can access your cell tower locator chip (I totally made that HW up).

Basically, on my old Treo 700p, it was extremely difficult for the maps application to get to the hardware it needed to create that circle.

On my wife's Blackberry Pearl (older model), the maps application can access the correct hardware and therefore creates that circle.

So, if google didn't write the maps software specifically for the TP hardware, it could just be a software issue of not finding the right hardware to find the cell signal.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully, that helps a bit. I don't know about whether the TP can get the circle and have the GPS turned off.

From what I understand Googlemaps triangulates your location using local cell towers. Based on the number of towers that are in your area you'll get a more precise location.

CozBoogie 12-30-2008 11:51 AM

Moved to general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

nemoid 01-05-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolane (Post 607093)
From what I understand Googlemaps triangulates your location using local cell towers. Based on the number of towers that are in your area you'll get a more precise location.

That's exactly what it is.

Anyone have an idea if there there is a way to get it working on the Touch Pro?

SkidBox2 01-05-2009 06:21 PM

Extreme newb questions.
Is GoogleMaps a replacement for the stock Sprint GPS app?
If so, is it worth removing the Sprint app for GoogleMaps?

tia
Skid