PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 AM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Oct 13 TP (stock) vs. Dec 9 TP (reflashed)

Some interesting things here, I was going to make this into two separate posts, but I'll just merge the two together. First, what I was going to say about the initial loading times of a completely stock TP vs. one with a reflashed radio and ROM.

So, before I sent my defective (keyboard doesn't work) TP back, I've decided to do some testing.

Original TP is from the first batch -- Oct 13th
New one is from the newest batch -- December 9th

Original Touch Pro is 100% stock, unlocked, stock rom, stock radio. Stock -everything-... Not even any contacts on it.

The new Touch Pro has been unlocked, has the Telus radio flashed on, and the newest version of Juggalo's ROM (.05B). The only other change I have made are a change to the battery icon and the flip clock (to white).

Stock ROM says 34% on a fresh load (only ActiveSync showing on the list).
Juggalo's says 41% on a fresh load with no programs showing in the list.

The stock ROM consistently loads faster... every time. It is at least 15 seconds faster, 30 seconds on average. Juggalo's responds faster with general use though.

The Dec 9 TP has the new, more responsive screen, but it also results in a much more yellow screen. I've got two monitors, so I compared both TP's to them... plus, here is a couple more random shots.

These images are HUGE, so I'm not going to have them show up here, I'll give a few links instead...

http://i44.tinypic.com/xgdyxw.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/wmy39.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/313nou8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/wqy4bq.jpg

At full brighness, the new one most definitely does have a better looking screen, if a little less bright. The big difference in color comes at low brightness levels... which I forgot to take pictures of (had people over). The new one looks flat out yellow, even without something to compare to.

Finally, here is a video of both of them booting. I described the test earlier, the phone on the left is the new one, the phone on the right is the old one.

TP ROM speed showdown
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Oct 13 TP (stock) vs. Dec 9 TP (reflashed)

There is def some differences between those screens, whether it is a trade off of Responsiveness/Quality, and color hue might be something to consider in the future.

As for the tests, good job. I always prefer a clean ROM with my necessary modifications and applications, that always works out best for me, that being said, i think the stock ROM offers a really good balance of productivity and performance.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

grandmasterlarry is just getting started

You can’t really compare a new version with a different rom to the old one with a stock rom... Should have tested both with both roms and then compared... good stuff thou...

i never had any problems with the old screen. i thought it was quite responsive especially coming from the 6800...

Last edited by grandmasterlarry; 12-29-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterlarry View Post
You can’t really compare a new version with a different rom to the old one with a stock rom... Should have tested both with both roms and then compared... good stuff thou...

i never had any problems with the old screen. i thought it was quite responsive especially coming from the 6800...
Well, it was more of two comparisons. Both phones performed the same stock. They both had the same radio stock, and the new one only had a minor revision to the ROM which did not effect performance at all.

The first comparison was on the build and quality of the phones, in relation to the date. An additional note, the back cases that come with the new ones (my new back case has a date of 10/29/08 printed on it, while the first one has a date of 10/03/0 fit much tighter, and my new case doesn't squeak at all, even after coloring it.

The second comparison was on the boot time of the phones, in relation to the ROM. I found it very surprising the stock ROM boots faster and is ready to go in less time... despite being more responsive later. It's still worth it to use a reflashed ROM, just hope you never need your phone in a hurry after a soft reset
Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

grandmasterlarry is just getting started

+1 sounds good to me!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

In reality, unless the stock rom is really piss poor, you won't get any HUGE gains by going custom. You might get some performance here or there but it's always a give and take relationship. As you have noted, Juggalo's boots slower but over all performance is better. A lot of the performance gains are simply placibo effects. Thats not to say there are not some performance improvements to be gained with custom roms but really, most of the custom roms are just to remove the "junk" in the roms to trim them down.

Here is a post for some benchmark numbers. Unfortunatly, not Sprint stock but you can see that over all, the numbers are fairly close in some cases. The specific number which are not shown that average out to the final number would show some dramatic differences though.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=174

Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Telus

larry6667 is becoming a great contributor

My TP booted up 10 seconds faster than both phones in that video, and I am sure i powered it on a little late. I am running Juggalos latest ROM. However I am with Telus if that makes a diff.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I think most people coming from the Mogul and Apache devices assume and almost expect the Custom/Kitchen ROMS to be much better than the stock TP ROM. In the old devices it was night and day. With the TP I'd say it is more shades of gray.

Of course I still do think there is benefits to the Custom ROMS. But I actually think Sprint did a decent job (gasp!) with the stock ROM. Surprisingly some of their junkware is actually usefull and their new game (Teeter) is actually one that you have fun "showing" off to your friends. (I think the majority of custom ROMS include Teeter)
Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Mine booted up 5 seconds faster than the stock rom in that video. I am running Juggalo v0.05B.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Mogul

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work

I don't think boot up time has anything to do with every day performance. I'd rather have a device that a long time to boot but offered better performance in my daily phone functions.

tsp
Sprint TP

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro