PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Send cab files etc over Pocket MSN Messenger??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50633)

tumtum101 12-26-2008 10:25 AM

Send cab files etc over Pocket MSN Messenger???

Does anyone know if there is a registry setting or hack of some sort to allow sending cab files over Pocket MSN Messenger. My friend just got a TP and I wanted to send him a volume fix cab. We were both signed into Messenger on our TPs and when trying to send the cab file it said:

"Your file wasn't sent because we detected a possible safety issue."

Does anyone know if there is a fix to be able to send these files or any good alternative programs to send files between devices? Thanks guys!

HBOOT 12-26-2008 10:31 AM

Re: Send cab files etc over Pocket MSN Messenger???

I do not believe msn messenge can handle that on the TP, I suggest you send it to your buddy via email, that works..

andrewdoc21 12-26-2008 10:40 AM

i was able to do this out of the box with my tp over live messenger

tumtum101 12-26-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbenz2008 (Post 601091)
I do not believe msn messenge can handle that on the TP, I suggest you send it to your buddy via email, that works..

I know that's always an option, and I can do that in the mean time. I think it would be cool to easily send files to and from PPCs, without email.....the same way we send pictures and/or videos.

HBOOT 12-26-2008 10:42 AM

oh wonderful, I will give it a try. Andrew , at times hotmail if fussy about sending or receiving application, cabs or file of that nature coz I email stuff to my self at times when I dont wish to use active sync. I will do some looking and trying....did the built in messenger have that option?

JAVIERBOND007 12-26-2008 10:48 AM

You can try this too, me and my friends use this to transfer any kind of file, you have to upload it to the side from your pc though but he can download it from his ppc, explains how to do it here, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50219 ,check it out let me know if it works for you.

tumtum101 12-26-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdoc21 (Post 601097)
i was able to do this out of the box with my tp over live messenger

Hmm. I'm using JD's 3.0 Rom and put on Windows Live 10.6.0034.0800 by Swtos (WindowsLive_WithIM_bySwtos.cab), from the Sprint cabs pack. Maybe the stock Windows Live Messenger works.

caddieguy02 12-26-2008 12:48 PM

i dont kno about msn messenger i dont have msn...but i do have aol and was able to send cab files to my buddy who has a pro thru the aol account i set up on my phone...so i dont see why u couldnt with msn...just go into ur device or storage card where u have the cab u wanna send...tap and hold it until u see the pop up window...hit send and it will bring up optins on how u wanna send it...

DaPeeps 12-26-2008 12:52 PM

I have used Live messenger to do this on my Pro as well. Normally I am close enough to use Bluetooth, but sometimes...you just need to remotley send something. I think one of the other IM programs does this as well....not sure if its Palringo or Fring or what one...but one of em does it also.

Also...you could setup an FTP server on your phone. Sounds stupid...but I've done it before...works well.

Lastly, you could use something like rapidshare to upload it from your phone. There are also site designed for cell phones that give you something like a "locker" space. When you upload something, it gives you a link to download or share it, just like rapidshare would.

Theres a lot of options out there that you could try using.

swallman 12-26-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumtum101 (Post 601088)
Does anyone know if there is a registry setting or hack of some sort to allow sending cab files over Pocket MSN Messenger. My friend just got a TP and I wanted to send him a volume fix cab. We were both signed into Messenger on our TPs and when trying to send the cab file it said:

"Your file wasn't sent because we detected a possible safety issue."

Does anyone know if there is a fix to be able to send these files or any good alternative programs to send files between devices? Thanks guys!

The reason it's probably a "safety" issue is probably because a CAB file is considered an "executable" file. Is it possible to just rename the file extension (like from .CAB to .CXX or something like that) ? I have to do similar stuff when sending EXE files through our company's email.